Puncture repaur - When's enough, enough!

PAD20959
PAD20959 Posts: 109
edited January 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hopefully quite a simple question!

Is there a theoretical or pratical maximum number of times you can patch an inner tube?

When is it best to say enough is enough. Here's a new tube!

Pierre
Orange Five 2010
Specialized Carve Pro 2013
Specialized Epic Expert Carbon 2014

Comments

• When the thing wont repair anymore, is irrepairable or has a massive cut in it! if it's holding then you don't have to change it. (mine always go next to the bloody valve though so i have to bin them every time :evil: )
  • konadawg
    konadawg Posts: 447
    I do that when I get over 4 holes at once in the same tube (assuming it already has around 10-15 patches already LOL) so I give myself an excuse to get out of doing it ;-)

No real valid reason though! The more patches, the less likely a thorn will penetrate!
    Giant Reign X1
  • i'll be honest and say i rarely repair tubes!! always carry 2 spare tubes, and buy in bulk, used to buy tesco tubes at "2.20 each (3 for 2 a lot of the time) but just switched to presta and they only do schrader. have half a dozen repaired in the shed but never used them when new tubes are so cheap!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    I reckon 4 or 5ish, although that depends on if there are any bigguns or pinches.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I just keep adding where possible till something happens to the value - always does and end its life.
  • When the thing wont repair anymore, is irrepairable or has a massive cut in it! if it's holding then you don't have to change it. (mine always go next to the bloody valve though so i have to bin them every time :evil: )
    Sounds like you might have a slight burr on your rim at the valve hole that needs a bit of gentle filing.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    What's an innertube?

8) Tubeless FTW 8)
  • PAD20959
    PAD20959 Posts: 109
    Tubless migh be the way forward in the future. Still a bit confused by it though and what I would need to replace.

I asked about the inner tube as so far I've had no problems, but after a ride down the canal the other day I flatted my rear and front. FOund 4 holes in my front and 2 in my rear. Clearly hit a thorny patch without realising! All repaired, but just wanted to confirm that 4 patches was OK for a tube!

Thanks for all the answers. I'm learning more from this website day by day than I ever did at school!

Pierre
    Orange Five 2010
    Specialized Carve Pro 2013
    Specialized Epic Expert Carbon 2014