Fox RP2 rebound problem

bennett_346
bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
edited January 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I've had my bike since August last year and there have been no problems with the shock until just recently.

I noticed that the shock had just one day became very "squelchy" during the initial 30% of the stroke, and when rebounding in this part it hits the top out very harshly no matter how i adjust the rebound damping. On its slowest setting it rebounds slowly as it should but is squelchy and you can still physically feel it hit full extension fairly violently. Much more so than it had been previously.

This occurs with propedal on or off but feels even more squelchy on compression with it on, as you'd expect to happen.

What could be the problem/ what should I do?

Thanks very much all.

Comments

• bennett_346
    Sorry to bump this but it's worrying me. If anyone can suggest any reason why it's doing this it would be greatly appreciated, or i might just end up ringing TFtuned
  • Koiler
    Koiler Posts: 513
    just a thought, have you got the correct air pressure in the shock?
  • JamieW
    JamieW Posts: 114
    If air don't fix it. Is it worth sending back to mojo for a service?
  • bennett_346
    Could be air, i've had it at 30% sag but it has felt softer in the cold. Ill give it some air on saturday. Never crossed my mind thanks guys.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Suspension does squwelch. I'd be more worried if it was silent.
  • Sounds like you have some Nitrogen in the oil, causeing the inconsistant damping, If the bike was new in August the shock should still be under warranty so get it back to Mojo for a warranty repair.
    Suspension servicing, tuning, parts, setup and race support
    Locotuning.co.uk
  • bennett_346
    Locotuning wrote:
    Sounds like you have some Nitrogen in the oil, causeing the inconsistant damping, If the bike was new in August the shock should still be under warranty so get it back to Mojo for a warranty repair.
    Wow that's quite interesting to hear, i had initially assumed there was some sort of gas in the oil circuit as it felt a bit 'fizzy' but its good to hear from someone who knows what they're doing.
  • No problems, if the last 30% of the travel is behaving strangly and topping out on even slow rebound (full +) I'd guess that's what the issue is.
    Locotuning.co.uk
  • bennett_346
    The last 30% feels fine, doesn't bottom out harshly at all but the initial 30% of the stroke feels odd and clunks when it hits full extension on rebound.
  • Sorry, I worded that slightly vaguely I mean the last 30% before it tops out/fully extends, so we're both 'singing from the same hymn sheet' !
    Locotuning.co.uk
  • bennett_346
    Ahaha right well i can give mojo a call sometime soon and hopefully it can be resolved under warranty, its supposed to have a 2 year warranty on the shock against defects not caused by wear and tear or abuse.
  • The warranty is two years, however the unit should be serviced at 200 hours or 12 to 18 months for the warranty to go rolling into the second year or 6 months depending.
    If you bought it August 2010 that shouldn't be an issue, 2009 you'll probably be asked to pay for a service, I used to work for Mojo, amoungst other suspension companies before I started up, so know the basic policy, but give them a call to check.

Cheers Simon
    Locotuning.co.uk
  • bennett_346
    Got it August 2010 and that's useful info to know, thankyou very much for your time good sir!