Selkirk 100k for me 8) Anyone else?
Winter: Moda Nocturne
Road: Cervelo R3
'Cross: Ridley X-Night
Commuter: Genesis Day One

Comments

• myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    Did the Selkirk 100k last year - plan to repeat this year!
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • aidso
    aidso Posts: 493
    Considering the 50km although I might be able to do the 75km at a push. I don't suppose either of you have a garmin of the terrain from last year? Wondering how much climbing there actually is?
  • manxshred
    manxshred Posts: 295
    Here is my Gamin from Selkirk last year. I did the short road sportive, then the 70km MTB:

The course was different from the previous 2 years so will probably change again.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/44773342

This year I plan on doing the long sportive and long MTB.
  • Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    ManxShred wrote:
    This year I plan on doing the long sportive and long MTB.

Good luck with that mate! :shock:
  • Here's my gps log from last years "100k". Nowhere near 100k in reality.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/42826133

A really really great day out though - top course, scenery, well run, great! I'll be there again this year :)
  • myopic
    aidso wrote:
    Considering the 50km although I might be able to do the 75km at a push. I don't suppose either of you have a garmin of the terrain from last year? Wondering how much climbing there actually is?

DOn't have a garmin record - but the short answer to your question is "lots!"
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    I'm looking at the feasibility of doing the long sportive and long marathon at Marshbrook. Unless I can get a lift, it will require taking a pair of bikes on the train, changing train twice, which could be interesting...
  • aidso
    Here's my gps log from last years "100k". Nowhere near 100k in reality.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/42826133

A really really great day out though - top course, scenery, well run, great! I'll be there again this year :)

7 hours to do the 100km. OUCH!!!!! literally. You'd need one heck of a gel seat for that journey :).

See with the distances, is it a longer course or is it just another lap? I've noticed most you putting in "laps" in the Garmin report.
  • 7 hours to do the 100km. OUCH!!!!! literally. You'd need one heck of a gel seat for that journey .

See with the distances, is it a longer course or is it just another lap? I've noticed most you putting in "laps" in the Garmin report.

I think it was 6:45 for me but that included some breaks, snacks, and keeping a sustaibable (ie easy) pace. According to my Garmin I was only moving for 5:11 but I find that hard to believe. I use "laps" to indicate landmarks - eg getting to the top of the hill or where the course changed from the previous year.

The only things that were hurting were my hands and thighs - my butt is well used to the saddle!

In Selkirk all the distances are single long loops. The 50, 75 and 100 share the same course at the start, and the shorter ones just return sooner. The 100 includes some good bits of Innerleithen (7Stanes) so I find that worthwhile.
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    I'm probably going to both the sportive and the 100k marathon the nest day. Fanastic events.

Doing both means I'm going to struggle to beat my time of last year but will be good prep for the Kielder 100.
  • aidso
    In terms of bikes, would/could you do it on a hardtail or would a short travel full-susser be better?
  • myopic
    Of course you can do it onh a hardtail! (you can do anythign on hardtail :wink: ). If you are going to use a full sus for this course, make sure its one you are happy climbing on as there is a lot of climbing - well same amount as going up as down actually, but you know what I mean.
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    I did it on a long travel hardtail (456) in 2009 and a specialized stumpy elite last year. Neither are particularly racy but I got round in 4.5 hours.
  • Done the 100km Mtb at Ruthin for the past 2 years. Going to make it a hat trick this year and hopefully do the Builth Wells one in April! :D
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Signed up for the Selkirk 100. Does something come through the post? Are there any course maps around?
  • jpenno
    jpenno Posts: 51
    I did Ruthin a couple of years ago and looking at doing it again and Selkirk too.

Dont recall getting anything in the post, you sign on on the day and get the maps, there are no official maps around of the courses as most involve the use of some private land and you cant ride the route before hand.

You could download the GPX file of someones Garmin etc and follow that as far as possible
  • Broonster
    Stoo61 wrote:
    Signed up for the Selkirk 100. Does something come through the post? Are there any course maps around?

Last year I just got a confirmation email and then they have your name when you sign on at the event.

However, I have just had a bundle of stuff come through the post today, like an event handbook and some other leaflety stuff (not looked properly yet!).
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Broonster wrote:
    Stoo61 wrote:

Last year I just got a confirmation email and then they have your name when you sign on at the event.

However, I have just had a bundle of stuff come through the post today, like an event handbook and some other leaflety stuff (not looked properly yet!).

Aye I got that email. Not had post today but will have a shifty.
  • aidso
    2 days until Selkirk, yeeeeeeooooooooooooo! I'm excited and nervous all at the same time.
    Here's hoping I get the Farmer's tan I'm hoping for :D
  • Broonster
    Sunday is looking pretty good weather-wise anyway. Here's hoping it holds!
  • myopic
    Looking even better now! 8)
  • Broonster
    Glorious weather, although perhaps a tad too hot today?! :o