St Bees - Robin Hoods Bay, and possibly back.

MCOK
MCOK Posts: 6
edited January 2011 in Tour & expedition
Hi All,
This year a group of us are planning to do the coast to coast (to coast, maybe) soley by road and I was wondering if anyone has any 'preferred routes' they took?
We will be doing it over 3 days each way due to some inexperience in the group, could anyone recommend B&B's etc at convienent points along the way,

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• rustynut
    rustynut Posts: 178
    One way is start St. Bees, pick up the C2C route at Cleator, follow this route to Penrith, then head down to Appleby and Brough. Then head to Tan Hill, Reeth, Richmond. From here, go thru the Vale of Mowbray to Ingleby Cross. Then follow the back roads to Great Broughton, Ingleby Greenhowe, Kildale, Commondale and so on thru the Esk Valley (hilly) and Robin Hood's Bay.

There is another route called the Dales Side to Side from Scarborough to Seascale. This is devised by the CTC.

This is the route I'm using on my coast to coast - part one, in the Spring.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I did the Hadrian's Wall ride in November '09 - and that goes through St Bees and on to Newcastle on the other side of the country. I liked parts of the route, mainly between Port Carlisle on the Solway Firth, to a point about 30 miles before Newcastle. The rest I really didn't care for, and much of it - the endlessly dreary miles along the Cumbrian coast - just seemed to be included as a means of boosting tourism in dying seaside towns.
  • MCOK
    Thanks guys for your replies,
    Rustynut your route sounds ideal, how many days will you be doing your C2C over?
  • I can thoroughly recommend 'Fernleigh' B+B when you arrive in Robin Hood's Bay, very clean and superb home made food.
    Thats why he\'s stayed alive for so long.
  • I can thoroughly recommend 'Fernleigh' B+B when you arrive in Robin Hood's Bay, very clean and superb home made food.
    Thats why he\'s stayed alive for so long.
  • MCOK
    More help needed please guys, I am having huge trouble in plotting a route for this trip. Any site I have tried seems to dislike me!!!
    Is there a site where you can begin plotting a route and then save/edit/save/edit as much as you want until you are happy with the final route? I have found numerous routes that have already been plotted but these all seem to have cycle routes involved, I want the route to be completly road based.
    I have tried clicking the 'Routes & Ridng' link on here but it just freezes my comp?

Any help with this much appreciated, its beginning to drive me nuts!!!
  • Hoopdriver
    Old fashioned I know, but a combination of Ordnance survey maps, and maybe a bit of help from Google maps if you really want to use the web, plus some inspiration and you should be able to sort yourself out.
  • MCOK
    Hoopdriver, many thanks for your reply, sorry, I forgot to put in my last post I want to upload it to GPS when I've done it
  • Hoopdriver
    Ah, yes, well that does make a difference. Good luck with it. IT will be a great trip whatever route you finally take.