welgo mg1's seized

rchip
rchip Posts: 102
edited January 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
hey! I got my mg1's last summer around May, they've seized up though. They never really spun for long on their own anyway, but now they are really stiff to turn. For example if I give the pedal a tap, it wont budge. Mechanically, I'm not very good. I've never serviced a pedal before, is it possible to fix these!? Or have I just got unlucky and my pedals are doomed!?

Thanks!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Oil. A spray of GT85.

I'd say 3-in-1 penetrating oil for really stuck things, but it's like super strength WD40 and could eat into the bearing grease. If you need to get the things off though, it's great stuff.
  • Paulkingk
    Paulkingk Posts: 689
    You could have bent your axle. if you take the 6mm allen bolt out the end of the pedal you'll then see a 10mm nut undo this with a 10mm socket and the pedal body will slide off and you'll be able to see if the axle is bent. if not tap the cartridge bearing and bushing(small plastic tube type thing) out and replace. It's very easy to service these pedals. you will prob need to measure the bearings and bush yourself and buy them from a bearing company. buy some quality bearings.