Government cuts start to affect me

northernneil
northernneil Posts: 1,549
edited January 2011 in The bottom bracket
about 80% of my business is servicing these centers in Yorkshire :-(

its a real shame when a proven scheme which over 10 years has benefited thousands and thousands of kids is pulled when in terms of running costs its minimal (its not £13M as in the article a center can run happily for about £150K a year)

http://www.channel4.com/news/sports-stu ... key-skills

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I've got to be honest, my politics are left of centre so it is easy to just knock the tories. However trying to be slightly more objective, their approach to education does worry me immensely.
    The approach to schools just seems to be to beat them with sticks and give the better off plenty of avenues to prove that they can do better. Public schools have proved this. Money can buy a better education.
    Any initiative that helps kids actually engage with these subjects is exactly what the school system lacks.
    What about making schools somewhere where pupils of all abilities learn worthwhile skills. Labour failed here too but Gove just wants to blame teachers for parliaments inability to identify its education policies are failing the less able and less well off.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    edited January 2011
    "Education, Education, Education"

Pah! Yeah, all our current education woes are caused by the Tories and I worry about their approach to teaching, not.

Sorry to hear about your possible woes Northernneil. Country is blinking bankrupt and we are all having to pay for 12 years of spend now, worry about payment later (by the government, the bankers and the average consumer). Not a good time to be a teenager.
  • Successive governments have fannied about with education and obviously spent loads in the process, but it's questionable with how much success. I believe it's time primary education got back to basics with the neccessary divercification coming in later.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • morstar
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Pah! Yeah, all our current education woes are caused by the Tories and I worry about their approach to teaching, not.

Sorry to hear about your possible woes Northernneil. Country is blinking bankrupt and we are all having to pay for 12 years of spend now, worry about payment later (by the government, the bankers and the average consumer). Not a good time to be a teenager.

I'm not blaming the tories for the state of education. BOTH parties have failed in my opinion. What worries me is that Gove is just stepping up the pressure on schools even further when there is a fundamental flaw in the ideology. Some kids aren't going to be academic so let's give them an education they can engage with and teach them maths etc. in a practical environment.

As for the spending of labour. I don't think anyone can hide from
    that truth. However, let me make a suggestion. Had the tories been in power, yes, less public money would have been spent and those savings would have been passed on as tax breaks to the better off. Nett position right now would be exactly the same. Nobody was prepared for the bubble to burst and anybody who had tried to legislate in the certainty that the bubble would burst would have not stayed in power. We were all on that treadmill trying desperately to keep up with the competition, be it globally or locally.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yepp, totally agree, I think common sense and education management went for a burton a long time ago.

Also, whatever one thinks about Labour, the Tories were just lucky not to be in power when it all went pop!
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I was cold called by the Liberal party last night on behalf of my local MP, I think they regretted calling me :-) Gave them a piece of my mind re education and defence.

Since we stopped flying Nimrods their base as Kinloss is full of US Orions and Canadian Auroras doing the job for us. The Russians took the withdrawal of the Nimrod as a green light to sail close in to our coasts and off our major ports so a friend tells me. Kind of a naval way of giving us the finger and there's little we can do about it.

The only way a country like the UK can compete is to have a highly trained workforce. Education cuts are crazy, especially this thing about EMAs that's in the news just now. I came from a poor family but got a good engineering degree 20 years ago paid for by the state, I felt my course was first class and really well taught. I really feel sorry for kids nowadays, my god-daughter had to leave uni and get a job because of funding problems. She's at the Open University now.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    The education system has not failed anybody, it is perfectly adequate for giving the nations youth the education they need.

It is the large minority of parents who don't teach their kids basic respect and discipline who make life impossible for both staff and other pupils in certain areas. The state can't be blamed for everything.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    It is the large minority of parents who don't teach their kids basic respect and discipline who make life impossible for both staff and other pupils in certain areas.

+1
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • morstar
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    The education system has not failed anybody, it is perfectly adequate for giving the nations youth the education they need.

It is the large minority of parents who don't teach their kids basic respect and discipline who make life impossible for both staff and other pupils in certain areas. The state can't be blamed for everything.
    With all due respect... Rubbish.

I strongly disagree. If you are academically able, you will have strengths and weaknesses but will generally thrive in a school environment. A large minority of children have very real potential that is left untapped by an education system that is geared solely towards the ideology that university is the only valid route to a successful adult life. It is not.
    A large minority of kids are made to feel like failures by our education system. Where are the apprenticeships etc etc.
    I love maths and spend all day long number crunching at work but I also understand peoples frustrations with the subject from when I have reached my own limits of ability.
    Drumming subjects like maths into non-academic students in a classroom environment is route 1 to failure. Our education system and all the government rhetoric (both parties) has been around why the teachers can't make route 1 work in failing schools. It is flawed thinking.
    I accept parenting is critical but it is not the only contributory factor.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,791
    To the OP...

It's massively sh!t.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    morstar wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:

I'm not blaming the tories for the state of education. BOTH parties have failed in my opinion. What worries me is that Gove is just stepping up the pressure on schools even further when there is a fundamental flaw in the ideology. Some kids aren't going to be academic so let's give them an education they can engage with and teach them maths etc. in a practical environment.

As for the spending of labour. I don't think anyone can hide from
    that truth. However, let me make a suggestion. Had the tories been in power, yes, less public money would have been spent and those savings would have been passed on as tax breaks to the better off. Nett position right now would be exactly the same. Nobody was prepared for the bubble to burst and anybody who had tried to legislate in the certainty that the bubble would burst would have not stayed in power. We were all on that treadmill trying desperately to keep up with the competition, be it globally or locally.

I dont think Labour failed in all respects towards education - there was a massive investment in school rebuilding and infrastructure (i dont however agree with how this was paid for through PFI) . There were years of neglect that needed big money to put right. From my own perspective I was at high school during the mid to late 90s and the change even in that time was noticeable - started off with crappy leaky building with plastic windows that didnt let the light in properly, some classes held in portacabins because the school roll was larger than the classroom accomodation allowed, an assembly hall that couldn't fit even half the kids in, sports equipment that was falling apart, sports fields that were once red ash/blaze but that had all weathered away to a rutted mess of stones, a single computer room which consisted of bbc micro computers from about 1982 (this was 1996!). By the time i left the improvements were starting but i went back a couple of years later to give a talk to school leavers wanting to go to university and it was like a completly different place. Good sports facilities with astropitches, proper kitted out gym that is open to the public outwith school hours, a large assembly hall that is fit for purpose, multiple computer rooms and laptops for use in other classes, refurbished technical and woodwork areas. And some proper interior decoration with some natural light and aireyness to the place rather than dank mess it was before. It really took me back how much had changed for the better...it isn't/wasn't an isolated case either as i went round about 10 different schools in the wider area and nearly all of them had been refurbished. It may have cost but it was not money wasted - it was money that needed to be spent - and should have been spent long before it was.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Does slightly rubbish infastructure really ruin education though. My schools all had leaky roofs, cold bare breeze block walls, 'temporary' portacabins etc. but it didn't seem to hold anyone back, plenty of my class are now high flying doctors, lawyers, scientists......

Further you don't need a fancy white board, powerpoint, and the latest ipad to teach basic maths or english, etc.

Smokin Joe nails it to some extent, but it goes wider, people have to stop expecting the state to do everything, you want clever kids then spend some time with them on something more useful than playing the wii.
  • northernneil
    To the OP...

It's massively sh!t.

not according to the kids, staff, parents or indeed the government itself

what a stupid comment
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,878
    To the OP...

It's massively sh!t.

not according to the kids, staff, parents or indeed the government itself

what a stupid comment

I had read that the other way & it was support
  • northernneil
    ah, I see what you're getting at - guess you could see where I came from

apologies to rick if thats the case !
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Don't believe everything you read in the Daily Mail. :roll:

Education did improve under Labour and it was money well spent.

Same old Tories for me.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,791
    ah, I see what you're getting at - guess you could see where I came from

apologies to rick if thats the case !

No probs - I get the wrong end of the stick too - regularly.

I meant - it's a massively sh!t situation.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Education did improve under Labour and it was money well spent.
    Evidence? And I'm assuming you won't be so daft as to quote exam pass rates at me, after all I'm a teacher.
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Same old Tories for me.
    Now that's evidence - of a closed & tribal mindset, which would be equally true if someone said it of Labour or any other party. I guess the "for me" gives away the subjective viewpoint.
    Parties change their personalities, policies, ideology: Thatcher's Tories were not the same as Heath's or MacMillan's, and Cameron's are not the same as Thatcher's: and Milliband's Labour are not the same as Brown's, who weren't the same as Blair's, who weren't... and so on.
    Keynes* wrote:
    When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?

*probably
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    eh wrote:
    people have to stop expecting the state to do everything, you want clever kids then spend some time with them on something more useful than playing the wii.

I agree with you 50% here. Parents should be responsible for teaching the children to love learning, but the state has to be responsible for the content of their education.