Fork size question.

largephil
largephil Posts: 358
edited January 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
First off, not sure if this is in the right forum, but I have a fork length dilema.

I have 2 bikes, both designed for a 140mm fork (Bop and Prophet). Long story short, I have ended up with a set of very nice 160mm rc3 ti forks. Do I sell them on and buy a 140mm fork, or set them up soft and use them on one of the bikes? I know the Bop is designed to take upto a 150mm so surely they would be ok on that, if a little slack? Dont want to cut the steerer and ride the forks if I'm going to sell them.

Would a longer stem flipped over help with fixing the geo?

I ride xc and trail centers. Are these just too long? :?

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    160mm for XC & trail centres is pretty long

10mm extra on the 'bop should be ok, 20mm on the Prophet may be too much

Personally I'd sell em & get some 140mm forks
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    largephil wrote:
    Would a longer stem flipped over help with fixing the geo?

it would not change the geo. just your riding position.

I would contact TFtuned about reducing the travel or sell on and get the correct size forks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • largephil
    Thanks for the advice. I'll try and sell them and get some 140's. Hadn't thought of getting them reduced, will look into that too. They would be ideal at 140mm.
  • largephil
    edited January 2011
    Apparently there is a spacer that can be moved to reduce to 140mm. Involves removing the lowers. That sounds like a job for someone who knows what they are doing to me :lol: Also would this void the warranty?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have a look in the Teck links sticky above.

whyamihere did a how to for Marz's Z1s for a 130-150 change yours will be very similar.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    servicing suspension is quite easy, like building wheels people think it is harder than it is.

if you have a technical mind and are careful it should be easy.
    if you are a hamfisted Muppet, maybe not for you.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • largephil
    Technical mind,... yes.

Hamfisted Muppet... also yes! :lol:

I'll leave it to someone who knows what they are doing I think. Wouldnt want to break a set of forks before they have even been riden! I'm made up that they can be changed to a 140mm fork. 8)