How often are you using the turbo in a week?

CarleyB
CarleyB Posts: 475
I am just wondering how much people are on the turbo.

I have been doing an hour twice a week of inteval training whilst I haven't been able to get out.

I have just upped it to 4 x a week. 2 intervals and 2 spinning. plus any times i can get out.
Level 3 Road & Time Trial Coach, Level 2 Track Coach.

Blackpool Clarion CC
http://blackpoolclarion.webs.com/

Blackpool Youth Cycling Association
http://www.go-ride-byca.org

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    edited January 2011
    Well done, Carley. Not too many people can sit on the turbo so often.
    I work on a rig, so, when at work I have no option but to turbo/gym bike and I do a minimum of 6 sessions per week.
    Don't have one at the mo, but will aim for 10 sessions, once it has arrived. :D
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    At the moment, circumstances prevent me from getting out on the bike outside of the commute (weather, family commitments). So I use the turbo as much as possible - I'm aiming for an hour a night but often have to miss a session.

Hopper1 - sounds like you really are in Nigeria! Are you gas or oil? (or do they do both?)
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    x3 a week for me at the moment
  • golfergmc
    golfergmc Posts: 426
    Try for 4-5 but had to miss my session tonight due to work, not happy.
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp SL 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    I typically do 3 sessions a week on the turbo.
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    The answer to that is easy. ZERO. I hate the damn thing. Chapeau for the perseverance.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    I do Tue,Wed,Thurs on the turbo. Then get out on the road no matter what the weather at the weekend so I don't go bonkers :lol:
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Paul RS
    Paul RS Posts: 107
    5hrs turbo, 5 hrs road.
  • CarleyB
    I was trying to build up to an hour every night but it's just not possible.. well I lie it probably is, but I think I may then find it a chore.
    And do you get to a point where it really doesn't have any effectiveness?

Blackpool Clarion CC

• jthef
    jthef Posts: 226
    It was twice a week :)
    But then I got the flu :(
    So it has been no riding for 3 weeks, hopefully a little spin later in the week.
  • on monday i spin on the rollers for an hour, on tuesday i do a speed set on the turbo for about 80mins, on wednesday if its rubbish weather i spin on the rollers fo r2 hours then on thursday i do a rock hard turbo set for an hour then get out on the road sat and sun, theres no way i could face 4/5 hours on the turbo or rollers
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    Every other day, although I sometimes take a 2 day rest so, 3/4 times a week, minimum of 45 mins.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Was 3 times a week during the bad weather, now zilch as it's fine. As soon as the rain (unless it's a weekend) comes the bike will soon be attached to the turbo.

I really don't think I can improve my fitness with more then 3 x 45 minutes sessions.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • hopper1
    CarleyB wrote:
    I was trying to build up to an hour every night but it's just not possible.. well I lie it probably is, but I think I may then find it a chore.
    And do you get to a point where it really doesn't have any effectiveness?

As long as you make the effort, it'll always be effective.
  • hopper1
    Zachariah wrote:
    At the moment, circumstances prevent me from getting out on the bike outside of the commute (weather, family commitments). So I use the turbo as much as possible - I'm aiming for an hour a night but often have to miss a session.

Hopper1 - sounds like you really are in Nigeria! Are you gas or oil? (or do they do both?)

Yup... I'm here in Nigeria... Well, offshore... Oil and Gas.
  • 1 hr every night, been known to do a few l3 2hr sessions. The 1hr sessions are mainly 2x20 sub threshold/threshold sessions, I feel the turbo makes a big difference! Sad I know 
    Up hup hup hup.....fricking hate that!
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    3-5 times a week - around an hour each time, different sessions - cadence work, hill pyramids, straightforward on/off stuff. Boring? a bit - but so is watching random telly :D
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    About an hour of the week at present.

If the roads are too icy, then it will be virtually all the training hours in the week on the turbo. Other weeks depending on what I am doing in training it will be zero hours.

I will do all my non interval work on the roads if I can, I might even start doing my interval work on the roads now I have a PT as well.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    hopper1 wrote:
    Zachariah wrote:

Unlucky. Have worked on a quite a few jobs in Nigeria, not offshore, Port Harcourt, Lagos, Ikeja. Never want to go back.
  • CarleyB
    It's really interesting to see quite a lot (most) do more than twice a week.

Blackpool Clarion CC

• hopper1
    SheffSimon wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:
    Zachariah wrote:

Unlucky. Have worked on a quite a few jobs in Nigeria, not offshore, Port Harcourt, Lagos, Ikeja. Never want to go back.

Not so bad... Has improved a lot over the past 9 years. Depends who you work for.
  • sheffsimon
    hopper1 wrote:
    SheffSimon wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:
    Zachariah wrote:

Not so bad... Has improved a lot over the past 9 years. Depends who you work for.

Probably 6-7 yrs since I was last there, will take your word that it has improved, still dont want to go back.
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    This last week typical winter for me: All turbo (although most weeks one or both weekend rides would be road).

Wednesday - 1.5 hours Level 2
    Thursday - Rest
    Friday - Sufferfest Angles
    Saturday - 5 hours L2
    Sunday - 5 hours L2
    Monday - Sufferfest Angles
    Tuesday - 1.5 hours L2
  • sheffsimon
    vs wrote:
    This last week typical winter for me: All turbo (although most weeks one or both weekend rides would be road).

Wednesday - 1.5 hours Level 2
    Thursday - Rest
    Friday - Sufferfest Angles
    Saturday - 5 hours L2
    Sunday - 5 hours L2
    Monday - Sufferfest Angles
    Tuesday - 1.5 hours L2

2 5hr turbo sessions at weekend :shock:

10 hours of your life you will never get back.

Incidentally, whats the purpose of these rides, what are your training goals?
  • CarleyB
    OMG how can you manage 5 hours in one go? That seems like sheer torture!!

Blackpool Clarion CC

• vs

How many hours do you spend watching TV?

Actually I find it a great way to relax, just find a rhythm, watch a movie, listen to a few albums - just as if I was sitting on the couch.

And it works, at a recent test I was still burning mostly fat at over 90% of Max Heart rate
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    vs wrote:

How many hours do you spend watching TV?

Actually I find it a great way to relax, just find a rhythm, watch a movie, listen to a few albums - just as if I was sitting on the couch.

And it works,at a recent test I was still burning mostly fat at over 90% of Max Heart rate

Sounds like a really unproductive way to spend 5 hours on a turbo, plugging away at L2 and I bet recovery intensity for 5 hours.

What makes you think that 'mostly burning fat at over 90% of Max Heart rate' is down to these 5 hour turbo rides?
    More problems but still living....
  • vs
    edited January 2011
    Sounds like a really unproductive way to spend 5 hours on a turbo, plugging away at L2 and I bet recovery intensity for 5 hours.

A little reading for you...

http://www.amazon.com/Base-Building-Cyclists-Foundation-Performance/dp/193138293X

"Chapter 1 explains the need to condition the body to use fat over carbohydrates as you build your fitness. This will not happen if you don't take time to ride at low to moderate intensities."
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I have been riding through the ice and snow on spiked tyres
    I have a 15 mile commute with some nice hills
    So no turboing for me
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    vs wrote:

A little reading for you...

http://www.amazon.com/Base-Building-Cyclists-Foundation-Performance/dp/193138293X

"Chapter 1 explains the need to condition the body to use fat over carbohydrates as you build your fitness. This will not happen if you don't take time to ride at low to moderate intensities."

Thanks. Fortunately I don't need to buy the book....

I still don't think 10 hours every weekend at a low intensity on a turbo is a productive use of training time.
    More problems but still living....