Combining Friels base training and intervals, ok to do?

Hi there,

I'm trying to train in a more structured way and have a copy of the MTB training bible by Joe Friel.

I've planned out my base, and building phases, and working on a max of 6 hours a week training have created various speed/technique, and endurance sessions for the next 12 odd weeks.

Living in Sweden means most of my sessions are on the turbo, (not a problem mentally), however I love sufferfest workouts and have been using these for a while now. Friels plan seems to omit these types of sessions until the building phases, does anybody have any thoughts on throwing one 60 minute session in a week during the base phases?

I'm not sure I can spend another session building base on the turbo, doing SF workouts is just so much easier!

Thanks,
Philip

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    No problem to combine the 2 IMO, lots of people do this. I would have thought that around this time, it is time to introduce more intensity anyhow, depending on when season starts.
  • Thanks for the reply SBezza.

I've just finished my first cross season, I'm starting base training now and hoping to race well at marathon MTB events from June to August, then to rest and train up for the new cross season.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Not wholly familiar with Friels planning but I would guess that you can take teh spirit of what he suggest and slot in your own stuff as desired. Try to equate the Sufferfest films & training effects with the sessions suggested by Friel and just fill up your week with a good mixture of easier & hard.
    Where are you in Sweden BTW -I''m in NW Skåne
  • I'm based in Göteorg and race for MCK. I missed the CX races down your way last weekend :(
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Just as well you missed them - they were by all accounts messy - Åstorps CK http://www.astorpsck.se/index.asp

has some piccies and there is a nice set of pics at
    http://cdn.sds.se/bildspel/ldalundacross/

if you do Swedish you can check out happy MTB and cykelklubben.se

Don't compete myself - too old/fat etc but am a ck.se devotee....
  • jfw
    jfw Posts: 41
    I think the theory goes that any anaerobic or strength work will impact on your aerobic development during the base phase

that is that your aerobic development will be most effiecient if you don't go anaerobic in this phase.

if you do a regular sufferefst vid in this phase, as well as aerobic riding - you will still develop your aerobic capacity (but potentially not as much as if you you stuck to the borign slow stuff)

if it means the motivational difference between keeping at it and giving in - i would probably do the sufferfest (especially angels)

i try to find a video/ iplayer programme of the right length to watch if i am doing base training. i am always too bored to do proper base training (the slow rate of perceived benefit is also really demotivating to me)