Manchester Area.

visceralspyker
visceralspyker Posts: 16
edited September 2011 in MTB rides
I am moving to the manchester / Denton area sometime before the end of April, so just looking for people to ride with and what places there are to ride nearby.
Am fairly new to mountain biking but was riding BMX for 15 years or so. Looking for a new challenge and to improve my bike control more than anything at the moment.

Comments

• The excellent Lee and Cragg quarry are about 20 miles from Denton just before you get into Bacup, i rode it over christmas for the first time and had to say i was impressed. All the locals seemed friendly and didn't mind giving advice on the best lines to use on the twisty stuff. I'll be heading back in the next few weeks thats for sure.
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • Sounds awesome will definately check it out when I get a chance to, wil be moving to the manchester / thameside end of denton but my wife grew up in manchester so she will prob know the area.
    Thanks for the tip!
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    loads of places on your door step.
    denton woods, tamevalley, reddish vale, roman lakes very good down hills, all with in riding distance from your front door...i live in reddish about 2 miles away from you also have a look at this lot i ride with them http://www.meetup.com/Manchester-Mountain-Bikers/ from denton you can ride off road off miles and i mean miles up to the Peak District

welcome to manchester there is loads of ride near denton. and loads off mtb's in the area around denton.
  • Hi, I live in Denton and have just started ridding again after about 15 year brake.

I was amazed to find some awsome trails right on my door step, Last weekend we managed 14 miles off road with only 2 on road, including some good Down hill sections.

I know Stockport really well so feel free to give me a shout if you want to go out ridding with some mixed ability riders, We also get the bikes in the van and get further afield from time to time!
    :lol:
    Sometimes we ask, why didn't I do that?
    Rarely do we say I learned nothing by doing that.
    So just give it a try!
  • Now moved into the area and settled. I have been riding Reddish vale a lot. I have been enjoying exploring the area and finding the trails. Using my tiime while I wait for work to start to get back into shape and relearn the control I have lost over the winter. Still looking for people to ride with and more trail and places to ride.
  • Hello!

I'm a bit late to the party but I've just got back into biking after 7 years off and bought myself a Kona Caldera. Looking for people to bike with around Manchester. I live in the centre in the NQ but have a car and will travel out to where ever is good - I'm going to explore Delamere Forest this weekend and Helsby Hill in Cheshire - I used to ride there when I was younger but I'm game for joining you all on a ride sometime if you'll have me.

Cheers
    Tom
  • toastedone
    toastedone Posts: 838
    Now moved into the area and settled. I have been riding Reddish vale a lot. I have been enjoying exploring the area and finding the trails. Using my tiime while I wait for work to start to get back into shape and relearn the control I have lost over the winter. Still looking for people to ride with and more trail and places to ride.

Where exactly are you living?
  • robbie87
    robbie87 Posts: 26
    I'd definitely be up for some trails / cross country riding around manchester / further afield, currently living down the road from Chorlton. Do have my own transport so, no restrictions in that respect. Give me a heads up for future rides, and I'll show my face!
  • its a bit but a few of us are getting together at redish vale sunday 15th may.
    More people the merrier so any one fancy tagging along?
  • yenkee
    yenkee Posts: 27
    robbie87 - I'm based in Urmston, fairly new to the area and MTB'ing, just wondered whether you know of any good trails on your doorstep? Any recommendations?
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    yenkee wrote:
    robbie87 - I'm based in Urmston, fairly new to the area and MTB'ing, just wondered whether you know of any good trails on your doorstep? Any recommendations?

I'm in Urmston too! Small world, eh?

Apart from a quick spin around Sale Water Park or following the Transpennine Trail, there's not a whole lot around here. I usually get the train from Deansgate to Chorley and go to Healey Nab and Rivington.
  • matt1986
    matt1986 Posts: 31
    I am moving to the manchester / Denton area sometime before the end of April, so just looking for people to ride with and what places there are to ride nearby.
    Am fairly new to mountain biking but was riding BMX for 15 years or so. Looking for a new challenge and to improve my bike control more than anything at the moment.

hi mate I'm living in Denton and am pretty new to mtb. I'm also looking for people to ride with. At the min I ride about reddish vale, hulm wood, daisy nook and park bridge. Also looking to venture to north Wales soon.

If you wanna catch up for a trip out let us know mate.
    Genesis Core 30 2011
    BMC Trailfox TF02 2011
  • Graham K
    Graham K Posts: 329
    From Denton go through Audenshaw towards Globe Lane and hop on the canal upto Uppermill, do the 'Diggle Jiggle' and zip back down the canal.
  • Liam1611
    Liam1611 Posts: 191
    Attempted this one yesterday, but the weather got the better of us, managed to get to Diggle, started to ride up the Pennine Bridleway and the heavens opened, so we turned back descended quite fast with the rain stinging our foreheads, sheltered under a bus stop (FFS) and then headed off. Stopped off at Stalybridge for a wet bacon sarnie and a cup of tea as there was a Bike Show on and then left for home. Got home and peeled the clothes from my skin. Not a good day for riding, but fun all the same. I think I will wait for better weather next time i attempt "The Diggle Jiggle". Also found out that we could have sheltered and had fun riding for 3 miles in total darkness through the Standedge Railway Tunnel.

Regards

Liam
  • Alright guys I've recently moved to Manchester and live in the city centre. I have both a mountain bike and a road bike.

Give me a shout if your looking for someone to ride with as I'm looking for new places to ride.
    2011 Focus Cayo 105 Ltd
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Expert Disk
  • Liam1611
    Liam1611 Posts: 191
    Hi Matt,

Sent you a PM arranging a meet-up if your interested then let me know.

Regards

Liam
  • robbie87
    Graham K wrote:
    From Denton go through Audenshaw towards Globe Lane and hop on the canal upto Uppermill, do the 'Diggle Jiggle' and zip back down the canal.

I curse you for recommending "Diggle Jiggle"...
  • zoglug
    zoglug Posts: 212
    Hey guys, im moving back to manchester (Audenshaw to be precise) in August. Been a keen road cyclist and looking to venture into MTBing. Once im back ill be in touch to see if people want to meet up, but in the meantime check out http://www.thewoollybacks.co.uk/content.php St Helens based, but members are from all over the North West and they ride all over too. Im looking to join when i get back, seem like a friendly enough bunch and ill definately learn some good rides from them!
    iamwhatiam.gif
  • Graham K
    Graham K Posts: 329
    robbie87 wrote:
    Graham K wrote:

I curse you for recommending "Diggle Jiggle"...

Sup Cheif? you done it?
    zoglug wrote:
    Hey guys, im moving back to manchester (Audenshaw to be precise) in August!

Watch it, its full of inbreds there :P My buddy live in Audey.
  • robbie87
    Yeah Graham, tackled it on Sunday...Far too much road based work and insane climbs!!
  • DinoS
    DinoS Posts: 2
    Hey I'm new to all this and I'm looking to find riders that can show me the ropes around Manchester Area. I've not ridden for about 10 years, but I've got myself a bike and I'm ready to give anything a go within my capabilities.
  • Just join a local club. Both 'Bellys' and myself are route leaders for Manchester Mountain Bikers. we know all the secret trails around stockport, denton, woodbank park and reddish vale.

Join in dudes!