Problems with bottom bracket mount front derailleur

hennez
hennez Posts: 255
edited January 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
hi,
Have got a few problems with the bottom bracket mount front derailleur on my 2008 model genius 20. there is an adjustement to change how high the derailleur sits off the large chainring though it is right rown and is still sitting too far off the large chainring :?
the main problem is that I cannot get the derailleurs set right so that the chain is not rubbing on the derailleurs in certain gears :? I've had it down @ the bike shop and the bloke down there cant work it out so I was wondering if anyone had had similar problems or knew what to do about it....
My bike takes me places that school never could

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what gear combos is it rubbing in?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The high screw stops the chain being pulled right over the big ring, it doesn't set the derailleur position at all.

We had a similar problem with my Daughters E-type mech (Scott Voltage, without the additional stabilising mount at the base of the seat tube), a substantial cable tie round it and the seat tube to stop the mount bending* sorted it.

*The cable pull wasn't just rotating the mech around its pivots but bending the mounting plate out from the seat tube as well, thus ruining the indexing of cable pull to cage movement.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.