Newbie - What sort of average speed should I be achieving?

paulbox
paulbox Posts: 1,203
edited February 2011 in Road beginners
Recently bought my first road bike and I'm averaging just over 15mph over a 20 mile loop. I know this isn't very good, but I'm not sure what I should be aiming for realistically having only done about 90 miles on the bike so far.

It's a fairly hill route, some hills take me down to 8-10mph. On the plus side there is one downhill where I reach 41mph, jees that feels fast on a bike!

I don't have computers on my mountain bikes so don't know what sort of speeds/distances I cover on those.

Thanks for any advice,

Paul.
XC: Giant Anthem X
Fun: Yeti SB66
Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets

Comments

• nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Lots of previous threads on average speed (and how comparison is rather pointless)

Use the 'search' key
  • paulbox
    Cheers, I had been using the wrong search (the one in the top bar), hadn't seen the one within the forum...

Seems that 15mph is very slow... :oops: Will have to see what I can do when my cold has gone.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    My advice is to worry less about what others do (or claim to do) and just focus on your own improvement - that's the one thing that really matters.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    If it's anything below 25mph (on a hilly route), I would give up and take up golf instead.

:wink:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If it makes you feel any better, I've been back on a road bike for just over 2 years now, and if I get an average of 15mph for a ride I think I'm doing well. Recently I've been getting a 13.4 average whatever I do. Then again, I am the wrong side of 50 now. My 22 year old son who shares a house with several superhuman students at Loughborough can manage closer to 20 mph.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    My advice is to worry less about what others do (or claim to do) and just focus on your own improvement - that's the one thing that really matters.

Spot on for above and don't get too hung up on your own improvement either - it's supposed to be enjoyable after all.

The post from Nuggs below the above quote is of course said with tongue firmly in cheek!
  • fenski
    fenski Posts: 119
    I don't think an average of 15mph on a hilly route is 'very slow' especially if you're riding by yourself and at this time of year. I always find my average dips in the winter, due to a lack of miles in my legs, the weather etc.

For the next few weeks I'll be focussing on getting out as regularly as the weather and other committments allow and building up my mileage - I probably won't even start to look at average speed until about Easter!
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Nuggs wrote:
    If it's anything below 25mph (on a hilly route), I would give up and take up golf instead.

More like 28mph.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • paulbox
    That makes sense, cheers.
  • paulbox
    Nuggs wrote:

:lol:

I've only just given it up...
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I only average around 12-13mph :(

I'm now off to look for a set of golf clubs.
  • paulbox
    fenski wrote:
    I don't think an average of 15mph on a hilly route is 'very slow' especially if you're riding by yourself and at this time of year. I always find my average dips in the winter, due to a lack of miles in my legs, the weather etc.

For the next few weeks I'll be focussing on getting out as regularly as the weather and other committments allow and building up my mileage - I probably won't even start to look at average speed until about Easter!
    I think I'd definitely benefit from riding with others, just want to make sure that I can keep up before taking the plunge. It's easy to get in to a steady groove instead of pushing a little when you're on your own.

Also agree with weather issues, it was pretty miserable yesterday afternoon when I did this. Also, I got a p**cture just over half way around so was p!ssed off about that...
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    I'm no expert but to me average speeds are misleading... I climb well but dislike the thought of meeting a 4x4 on the other side of hill.
    Hope you meet Nuggs one day in a race and a shout FORE as you grind him into the dust, I know I will :wink:
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • paulbox
    suzyb wrote:
    I only average around 12-13mph :(

I'm now off to look for a set of golf clubs.
    :)
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    15 mph on a hilly ride isn't too bad for a solo ride particularly this time of year. Might be a slow internet average but on the road it is reasonable and you wont find too many other cyclists scalping you.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Don't forget to multiply your speed by the "internet speed factor" (add approximately 15%).

Everybody else does.

Of course, if you already did, then you could always take up golf.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    PaulBox wrote:
    I think I'd definitely benefit from riding with others, just want to make sure that I can keep up before taking the plunge..

I think I'm in a similar position to you. I seem to be averaging around 15 mph and have been riding on and off for around a year (unless you count previous years of casual family riding on mtbs). I'd like to join a club and go on runs but feel a bit nervous about being far too slow. I'm a bit more ancient than you at 63 but I do have a competetive sports background and I still want to keep improving.
    Some of the other threads I've read on average speed are a bit daunting but,as with this thread, I've seen the advice to take into account the Internet Speed Factor! :shock:
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • paulbox
    :lol:

Definite 15.02mph average, so does that mean I have an internet avg speed of 17.27mph?

Somebody stop me... 8)
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    Funnily enough I was just musing about average speed and 'Internet adjustment' on today's 70 miler - not too hilly but maybe "rolling" route and averaged 17.1mph (without adjustment!)

This is very slowly climbing from around 15.5mph when I started back in September, so factoring in always riding solo and slower winter riding I'm reasonably pleased - mileages have increased too, which is more of a goal personally :)
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • meanredspider
    It's a bit like the weight thread. Nobody is cycling your route, on your bike, in your conditions but you. My route into work on some days is nearly 20mph and on others is 15mph - but that really matters to nobody but me. You really won't know how you compare to other riders until you are riding with them. You don't sound as though you'll make a fool of yourself with the speed that you're going so go for it.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    Everyone rides different routes so no point asking what is a good average..

Also, have a look at this post - http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... &start=220
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    I wish people would use kmh rather than mph :(
  • dont worry about your avg speed... it's about your performance NOT everyone elses!
    you have to take alot into consideration,

natural ability
    time cycling?

the list could go on mate! just enjoy yourself and focus on improving yourself :)
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • meanredspider
    jonmack wrote:

Why? It's what we're meant to use on our roads.
  • reacher
    reacher Posts: 416
    i'v just started an i would say thats not bad at all on a hilly route , since i'v started i'v already met 4 people who used to ride quicker than lance armstrong before they retired an took up the sport of eating
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    jonmack wrote:
    Great idea. And as everbody knows...
    The formula for converting mph to kph is as follows.

I ride at a real average of 29 mph.
    Add on the internet 15% and that's 38 mph. Multiply this result by 2.9 and my road average is 120 kph (approximately).

If you allow for the hills adjustment then this equates to about 130 kph on a flat run.
    Sorted.
  • dilemma
    dilemma
    Can I be as bold to say that you have left a foul taste in my mouth with that puerile nonsensical uninformative outburst. your probably so far up your own bottom that you didn't realise how pathetic your so called comment sounded.your probably of the same build as those emaciated freaks who ride the tour de france,of which no sound minded balanced person would ever aspire to.If you haven't already realised this is a beginners forum with which genuine questions should be answered informatively with the emphasis on inspiring not discouraging newbie cyclist. Aimed at the future king of the mountains. AKA dilemma.
    Trek emonda sl6 pro 2019
    wilier izoard 2011
    canyon grail 7.0 al 2019
    Cannondale caad 12 2018
    Dolan professio2018
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    dilemma
    dilemma
    Can I be as bold to say that you have left a foul taste in my mouth with that puerile nonsensical uninformative outburst. your probably so far up your own bottom that you didn't realise how pathetic your so called comment sounded.your probably of the same build as those emaciated freaks who ride the tour de france,of which no sound minded balanced person would ever aspire to.If you haven't already realised this is a beginners forum with which genuine questions should be answered informatively with the emphasis on inspiring not discouraging newbie cyclist. Aimed at the future king of the mountains. AKA dilemma.

The problem is Chris... if you search - there are lots of similar threads. If you read through the big long thread linked above - you'll see why.

The bottom line is that it depends on so many factors that the question becomes pointless. There isn't an answer, hence you are better off getting answered like above rather than even more pointless answers that give real speeds.

As a beginner (and having read the long thread)... the only way you'll have any idea how you are progressing - is to compare your own times.. and if you want to know how you compare to others... you need to ride with other people of similar abilities.
    Simon
  • And don't forget to get KMH and MPH mixed up.
  • don't worry about kmh and mph - without my glasses I can't tell the differece between 157 on the heart rate and 15.7 (kmh obviously) :oops: