Newport or Manchester

Eyon
Eyon Posts: 623
edited January 2011 in Track
Hi all,

I'm desperate to try out some track cycling at some point, and I know Manchester or Newport both run "taster" sessions.

What is the better track for these sessions? Both are near as dammit 200 miles from me, Manc has the peak district to take my MTB too to make the most of the journey, and Newport is close to the best MTB trails in the UK, so again, kill two birds with one stone.

So in peoples experience, which will provide a better insight and advice into getting into track cycling?

Ian

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    On pure hearsay there is apparently more free track time at Newport for beginners as Manchester is the centre for Team GB etc.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,538
    Don't know how often they do "taster" sessions at Newport, they do a 4 week beginners course that runs on Monday evenings so not great if you are travelling that sort of distance.
  • Richa1181
    Richa1181 Posts: 177
    Manchester do a full day's accreditation if you're only going to make one trip, plenty of track riding and much better than travelling 200 miles for a 1hr session and some mountain biking in the peaks. If you're not interested in doing the accreditation then I'd say head to Newport. I've never ridden there but Newport is only 8 miles from Cwmcarn and they've got a decent trail and downhill track there if you want to make a day of it..
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Newport is a decent track and as other have said - probably easier to get track time on. But check with both and see what is available.