Not Happy with New Fit .

avoriaz2010
avoriaz2010 Posts: 9
edited January 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi - Help needed guys please - Went to a dealer on Saturday - to cut a long story short my measurment fell between to sizes 54 + 56 . Went back Sunday and after trying both sizes purchased what the dealer recomended £3K on a 56 . I have it home now and went on the rollers last night - legs feel like there overstretching - handlebar set up feels too upright and I do not feel like I'm able to generate the sort of power I was hoping for - the whole set up seems to big .

Any advice - Do I have any comeback the bike hasnt been outside yet - I dont want a refund just would like to try the 54 option - which I dont think they have in stock

Any advice welcom - parting with that sort of money I should be feeling ecstatic - but instead feel very deflated !

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    sounds like you were sold what was in stock.

how did you try both sizes if the 54 wasnt in stock? was it a different set up or the same frame on lower components?
  • - Tested the Madone 5.2 on both 54 & 56 on the turbo - thats when I was advised on the size - then tested and bought a higher specced madone in the OCLV2 frame .

feels and looks great just doesnt feel right once I'm into rythm ?!

I dont have a turbo - difficult to gauge on trial as the bike is stood up off the ground - just think I should have taken more time ..... iknow I should have gone outside before anyone states the obvious - It was dark and raining....
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    I'm thinking two things. One, it sounds like you didn't get someone all that clued up on bike fit so they might not have been able to tell which size suited you best. On the other hand, you can't blame a shop for wanting to sell the easy way - that is, sell what is on the shop floor, it's a lot more hassle and a big gamble for the shop to go buying in something new, especially if you then decided against it.

Best of luck with the return - but I wouldn't hold my breath. Oh, and even if you get it returned, chances are they'll want the money for brand new tyres if you've used it even a little bit on the rollers.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Difficult call as we don't know your size and limb measurements. You must have said something to the dealer that suggested you were comfortable on a 56 cm. Also, you are suggesting the seat post is fully down if you are over stretching your legs.

I know this is a silly question, but have you moved the seat post down a bit?
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Thanks -

I'm 5' 9" with 32'' inseam - or 174cms / 81 cm in new money .

Yep I can lower the seat - but this brings the seat - handlebar level - again its a very upright position .

Acc to their terms & Conditions they take all deliveries back in same state within 7 day return - does the fact that I ve purchased from the shop come under the same criteria ?

cheers .
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    My question would be, did the shop do a bike fit or just get you on the turbo to see what you/they thought looked right?

If you had a proper fit then the height of the saddle and fore/aft position should be spot on (with the right angles for your knee at the top and bottom of the stroke, etc.) and should be able to compensate for the fact that you might be between sizes. Same goes for the handlebars, lots of options there including raising lowering/tilting/flipping, etc.

Might be worth getting a decent fit and then seeing how you feel. £100 is peanuts when compared to the price of the bike. You just might find that the frame is the perfect size but the bike just needs a minor adjustment for you.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd explain the situation to the shop asap. A decent LBS would exchange the thing for the right size; for that kind of money they should want the customer to be happy with the purchase. The worst I'd expect is they charge you for swapping the tyres.
  • I'd just get back down there, I'm sure they will sort you out. I'm a very similar height, inside leg and ride a 54 however I know another guy with the same stats and rides a 56.
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yes, good points speshsteve and keef66. Agree on reflection that the shop is the first step, but approached with a very constructive attitude to smooth things along.
  • Thanks - I asked the dealer in writing for a Bike fit for a madone .
    they replied - yes bring your shorts and t shirt .

But when I arrived I wasnt asked to chagne into them - no measurements were taken they asked me to get on the roller and then commented on various aspects etc.
    I guess looking back I felt a little intimidated - they were the experts so I did as I was told sort of thing .....
  • Which shop did you buy from? I'm just waiting to get my Roubaix Expert and expect to be about an hour or two to get it tweaked just right, spending big money I would want more than a cursory glance of you sat on the bike.

Andy
  • Thanks AndyK - Can I pass on that until its resolved dont want to get into any potential trouble :shock:
    I will let you know the outcome though !
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Is that a cycling inseam to the floor or trouser size? If its cycling inseam I would go for 54. However it also depends on the frame geometry. If this frame has a long head tube then more reason to go for 54. I am 178.5 with a 34" inseam and ride a 56 but if I was younger and more flexible I would ride a 54. If I rode a frame with a very long head tube like a Roubaix it would be a 54.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Thanks - 32 is cycling inseam .
    when I straddle the bike (standover) the top tube is against my crotch - not forcibly but there.......
  • I'm 5ft 10 and have a 53cm Lemond Zurich, not that different to Madone.

I'd say 54cm would have been the one. But seatpost/stem make a difference of course.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Doesnt sound right especially as it has a sloping top tube.

I found this on Trek site
    If you are in between two sizes it is often best to go with the smaller size. It is easier to make a smaller frame fit a little larger than it is to attempt the reverse. Fitting is an important process which directly affects the ride quality and comfort of a bike. Trek dealers are skilled at sizing and can help find the appropriate bike and size to fit each individual’s needs. If you need help finding a dealer in your area try clicking the “Find A Dealer” button on our website’s home page.

The head tube isnt that short at 15cm on the 54 many 54s have 14cm. Im pretty sure a 54 is more your size especially if you have the flexibilty and want to ride low at the front.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    From your dimensions, I'd point you towards a 54cm. Assume the seatmast has been cut-down - are you able to drop it a cm or so? There are a few online bike fit calculators - try punching your numbers into some of those as a comparator.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Getting someone to take pictures of you on the bike is not a bad idea. Care to post them on here?

So, your legs were aching on the rollers? Do you really think you can set proper saddle height on rollers?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Photos i think may help.

I'm interested in how high you have your bars if by lowering the saddle a fraction its level with them.
  • From what you say, then 54cm sounds more likely to fit as you sound the same sort of size as my father and he rides a 54cm (Spesh).

When I had my bike fit done (I also ride a Spesh) I was on the border of 56cm and 58cm frames. I was advised to go with 56cm and if need be adjust from there, although it felt spot on. The bike fit I had done was full measurements though, incl reach and shoulder width, etc.

Hope it works out for you as that is a fair amount of cash to spend on something that doesn't fit!!
    Allez 16 - bad weather / turbo trainer
    Tarmac Expert SL3 - test colours
    Dogma 2 - ex Team Sky
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It could just be tweaking anyway ? Cant you lower the handlebars and drop the saddle ?

Sometimes it takes a while to get used to a new bike anyway - who is to say your position was right on the old bike ?
  • thinbo
    thinbo Posts: 93
    you sound to be a similar size to myself and I generally seem to need a 54cm frame.

As others have said get it back to the shop ASAP and let them know, and have another go on the 54.
    CUBE Agree GTC Pro '10
    Giant Defy 2 '09
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    From what you say, then 54cm sounds more likely to fit as you sound the same sort of size as my father and he rides a 54cm (Spesh).

When I had my bike fit done (I also ride a Spesh) I was on the border of 56cm and 58cm frames. I was advised to go with 56cm and if need be adjust from there, although it felt spot on. The bike fit I had done was full measurements though, incl reach and shoulder width, etc.

Hope it works out for you as that is a fair amount of cash to spend on something that doesn't fit!!

Similar situation for me. I had bike fit for my new Cube GTC SL and it involved a variety of body measurements taken, then a fitting on a turbo. whole thing took about an hour and it included me taking the bike out of the shop and riding it. My older bike is a Scott CR1 Pro in a 58, and it's always felt a little big for me no matter what I did. Plus the geometry of the Scott is a little less aggressive than the Cube.

Initially they thought I'd be a 58 which I tried, but after a little tweaking with seat position and changing stems, it was still considered a little big 9i felt stretched). Ended up going for a 56 and just flipped the stem. I think I'm somewhere between the 2 and the only way to make it really comfortable, especially on longer rides was to flip the stem. Now it feels great.

Funny, as a lot of people have mentioned they went up a size when they bought a Cube. i guess it depends on the type of bike you're moving from and the sort of rider you are but my Cube is a far more racey type geometry.

I'm a whisker under 6ft.
  • Thanks -

I have spoken to the dealer - Gonna test a 54 ( same geometry ) then if agreed hes gonna order me a 54 bike and agreed to swap like for like if needed . So I feel relieved to say the least .

The bars are not on the 56 lowest still 20 mm of spacers so they could come down a little -

I have had some photos and the bike looks ok to be honest ( but still feels high / upright )
    I did recall that when on the turbo on the 54 it almost seemed as if it was part of me - I should have spoken up !!
    I will let you know how I get on ! and no I'm not normally this indecisive !
  • - I did use the competitive cyclist bike fit which seemed quite comprehensive - I think it uses 8 different measurements then gave me three results -
    pro fit 54.2
    eddy fit 54.5
    French fit 56.1

so there I guess lies the answer - I look forward to riding both - I suppose theres nothing like feel rather than figures .

cheers
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    at 5'9" I'd have said 54...
  • Bike fit is an imprecise science, unless you can get them custom made to the millimetre.

I am 5'9" and ride a 50 on account of my very short reach.
  • Thanks -

I'm 5' 9" with 32'' inseam - or 174cms / 81 cm in new money .

Yep I can lower the seat - but this brings the seat - handlebar level - again its a very upright position .

Acc to their terms & Conditions they take all deliveries back in same state within 7 day return - does the fact that I ve purchased from the shop come under the same criteria ?

cheers .

I'm 5'11" and I was told a 58 would be about right, but after test eiding a 58, I was told to go with a 56. Not I'm the ideal example of what measurements you should have gotten, as even between mfg's the sized can vary, but I would 100% go back and talk to them. No sense in having a 3K bike, that you can't use properly.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Bike fit is an imprecise science, unless you can get them custom made to the millimetre.

I am 5'9" and ride a 50 on account of my very short reach.

And I don't care who you are, Bike Whisperer etc, you really do need 2 or 3 sessions to get it absolutely right. A decent bike fit will get you close but they're nothing without getting some miles in on the road so you can make adjustments.

You could sit on the turbo for a few minutes and feel fine, then get out on the road and start aching after 30 or 40 miles.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I'm 5' 9/10" and i've got a 53 and a 54. Tried a 56 frame on a winter bike a few years back, too big for my 32" legs.