Hope pro II freehub seal

twonks
twonks Posts: 352
edited January 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
After much looking beforehand and reading t' forums, I am not 100% sure about the refitting of my freehub.

It came off easily and isn't worn and gritty at all, so a nice clean and regrease later I tried to refit it.

I was expecting the seal between the hub and body to be a pain, but I can't see just how or even where it is supposed to go.

There does seem to be the slightest of lips at the bottom of the opening in the hub, but this isn't anything like deep enough to locate the seal into.

Mine just seems to go on and sits where you see it in the pics.

I've tried tapping it lightly, pressing with a flat screwdriver yet nothing makes the seal sit any lower and it just lifts off easily with the freehub.

Please can anybody advise if it should indeed sit lower and locate somewhere as I'll be damned if I can work it out.

Of course I can spend 9 quid on a tool to do it, but how hard can it be to locate a seal ... doh

seal1.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    looks fitted to me.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • twonks
    Cheers.

I have since seen a few threads which suggest some of the seals just drop down into the hub and don't require any pressing as such, so am I hoping mine is the same.

Going to build it back up this aft and see if it freewheels and spins backwards ok.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yeah, that's fine. I've only done a few hope freehubs but they've all needed some persuasion to go in, so I would wonder myself if it's going to do the job if it's looser... But maybe that's just how some are, I've not seen enough to be sure.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind
    "you will need our special and expensive tool". Or you could just use the ball end of an allen key. But that does show what I mean, the seal needs a bit of persuasion normally.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • twonks
    I've seen that vid more than a few times ;)

The wheel is all back together and i've given it a quick blast round the block.

All seems to be ok so I am guessing it is in right and isn't a tight fit.

There simply isn't anywhere else for the seal to go, so i am assuming it is ok.

Will be going for a ride tomorrow and shall post back.
  • Northwind
    The seal's definately right, no worries on that score. If I was you I'd just forget about it but have a look in after a few wet rides and see if it's letting crap in.
    Uncompromising extremist