Upgrade Wheelset - Help

antlaff
antlaff Posts: 583
edited January 2011 in Road buying advice
I have Rodi rims built on Concept SL hubs on my Focus but have been looking a spare rear wheel for my turbo but cant seem to get any cheap even on fleabay.
I have noticed the ribble prices for the R500 are very reasonable at £64.00 - would this be a good upgarde to my existing wheels or would i need to goto RS10/20s to notice any difference?
I would then use the Rodi as the turbo wheel

Comments

• antlaff
    no help then?
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Dunno mate, youre talking about 4 lower end wheelsets there, prob not much between them. I'm sure most of us have experience of maybe one of them but then I'd imagine people would upgrade to something more £. I reckon the wheelsets in question would have been peoples first so maybe hard to see them as an upgrade and advise.

Sure there's someone out there who can help, maybe give it a week.

Good luck.

FWIW I had some RS10 and they never let me down, found them equally as good as Mavic ksyrium equipe which are more than twice the price?
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    I've got an RS10 rear wheel that would be ideal for the turbo - £40 posted
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Hello there, I don't have any personal experience of the wheels you mention but the rough rule of thumb (AFAIK) is that a wheelset is worth about 10% of a new bike when supplied. That will give you a ballpark value on the Focus wheels now. Swapping to a wheelset in the same price range will not be an upgrade but simply a swap.

BTW, I don't bother changing my tyres/wheels for the turbo but just let a little air out. I'll buy some new tyres when the weather gets good. Then again, I only do the odd hour turbo session dotted through the month. If you can make do for now, you could save up for a decent wheelset (6700 or Fulcrum 3) with some nice tyres for April/May and start the season with a smile.
  • antlaff
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Hello there, I don't have any personal experience of the wheels you mention but the rough rule of thumb (AFAIK) is that a wheelset is worth about 10% of a new bike when supplied. That will give you a ballpark value on the Focus wheels now. Swapping to a wheelset in the same price range will not be an upgrade but simply a swap.

BTW, I don't bother changing my tyres/wheels for the turbo but just let a little air out. I'll buy some new tyres when the weather gets good. Then again, I only do the odd hour turbo session dotted through the month. If you can make do for now, you could save up for a decent wheelset (6700 or Fulcrum 3) with some nice tyres for April/May and start the season with a smile.

nice thinking - thanks hadnt thought of it that way - will soldier on and maybe look at upgrading the mavic's on the kona later and demote these to the commuter - thanks for the advice