Fork Steerer Slightly Too Short...

bikeperson45
bikeperson45 Posts: 415
edited January 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I've just installed the headset on my new frame and now I've put the forks in I can see they're too short, they only go about halfway up the stem. So is there anyway I can use them? I'd rather not need to get new forks, is there spacers I can put in as the headset bolt is able to screw through?
I ride trials so it's critical it's strong, just wondering if I had any other options.
Thanks
Me like trials biking me do

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    your options are.

new fork,
    new steerer/crown/leg assy (if a sus fork)
    a stem with less stack height.

the steerer has to finish above the stem top clamping bolt.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks for the quick reply, it's rigid so looks like I'll be looking for a cheap second hand fork then...
  • W00DENT0P
    W00DENT0P Posts: 211
    If its a steel steerer then you could get it extended, would just need a section of steerer tube and smaller section to use as an insert, any engineering place would be ale to sort it for you.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just like this. one I did earlier.
    img0178qu.jpg
    not just as simple adding a bit as you do need to cut back so the welds are between the bearings.

but for a Trials bike i would be getting new.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yea, gutting feeling though, and I need a new bottom bracket so it's all adding now...
    Thanks for the replys