Rear shock - increasing lengh - possible?

Beardface
Beardface Posts: 5,495
edited January 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I have an 06 Spesh Enduro, with a DHX Air 3 rear shock, which I'm considering changing for a coil shock. The shock measurements are 8.5" x 2.25" (215.9x57.5mm), which gives 140mm travel.

However, the higher spec Enduro models for that year run DHX Air 5 shocks, which measure in at 8.75"x2.5", apparently giving 150mm travel.

I assume, that I could up the length & stroke of the shock, as the frame is essentially the same model? If not, why not?

Or, what would be the difference bewteen the 8.75"x2.5" and the 8.5"x2.5" - would I get 150mm travel from both of these shocks?

I think that makes sense, I'm not great with rear shocks, so hence why I'm asking for help!

(Also, looking for the 8.5x2.25 isn't as easy as I thought! (Would be buying Push'd from TF).

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you would also need the correct linkages and plates for the suspension, Just fitting a longer shock does not work.

some shocks can have parts swapped out to give a longer stroke with a longer i2i.

but why do you need 10mm?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Beardface
    Thanks Nick, I had a feeling you'd be along soon! :)

I don't need the extra 10mm, the DHX 3 is getting on a bit, so I fancy a new shock.. as above, TF don't do an 8.5x2.25 shock that I can see, so thought 8.5x2.5 would be a pretty much straight swap. (Just thought I'd ask about 8.75x2.5 just in case, but will rule that out).

Wouild I still need new linkage/plates etc just for upping the stroke then?
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    you may find that the swing arm hits the frame or something else goes wrong if you have one with a longer stroke, your best bet is to ring TF tuned.
  • Beardface
    I thought that would be the case AJ, thanks, I'll get on the blower :)