Simano RT76 rotors

.blitz
.blitz Posts: 6,197
edited January 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning all. Looking at the RT76 rotor it appears to be a two-piece design. Is it a floating rotor or is it a steel rotor riveted to an alloy carrier?

Comments

• *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    The latter I think, just allows a bit of expansion under heat without warping....

Ive done a fair bit of reading about them, them and the hope floaters, Im undecided which to go for with my Saint 4 pots.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    They are riveted not floating. I have them on my bikes and they are great much better than Hope floating rotors that were on before, the pads seem to grip better and they've kept very true. They do make a strange sound when braking similar to cars with grooved discs but it doesn't bother me.
  • .blitz
    Thanks fellas
  • *AJ*
    CraigXXL wrote:
    They are riveted not floating. I have them on my bikes and they are great much better than Hope floating rotors that were on before, the pads seem to grip better and they've kept very true. They do make a strange sound when braking similar to cars with grooved discs but it doesn't bother me.

Youd recommend the Shimano over the Hope floating discs then? In what ways are they better?.... just curious before dishing out £80 on a set of rotors.
  • CraigXXL
    I used them with my Hope 4s when I changed the wheels over and had to use the centre lock version. The difference was immediate over the Hope floating (183 against 180 shimano) with a stronger feel. I have used them now for just short of a year and they've stayed true, not rusted and don't squeal when wet.
    With Saints and XT they feel even better.
  • .blitz
    edited January 2011
    *AJ* wrote:
    ...£80 on a set of rotors.
    £52 for a 160/180 combo from On-One...

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BSSHXTRT76R ... or---160mm

...but 203s are cheaper from Chain Reaction.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    +1 one on the Shimano over Hope rotors.

I have used both, Hope wore faster (only rotor I have even had wear out), and even better the shimano had MUCH better braking traction.
    My 203 rt75/76 (have both), could stop the bike significantly faster than the Hope 225mm Hope.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • *AJ*
    .blitz wrote:
    *AJ* wrote:

its 203mm ones im after.... £64 the pair for the Shimanos, £80 the pair for the hopes.

I've just bought a cheap hope 2nd hand one to check fitment, so il see how i get on.
  • I Run the shimano ones because the Hope floaters wont clear the calipers without modding them as the rivets are too big.And the brakes are saint 4 pots have a look at my blue pig in your mountain bikes if you want to see how they look.
  • *AJ*
    Russ-Tyson wrote:
    I Run the shimano ones because the Hope floaters wont clear the calipers without modding them as the rivets are too big.And the brakes are saint 4 pots have a look at my blue pig in your mountain bikes if you want to see how they look.

Ive been lead to believe that this depends on the disc mounting on the fork.... if its a post mount fork it will foul, if its 'IS' it should be ok?.... il find out this weekend though i guess.
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    .blitz wrote:
    *AJ* wrote:

I'm confused are those centerlock or IS 6 bolt?
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • CraigXXL
    The On One link are 6 bolt, what's confusing?
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    They are a two-piece construction, in the form of an adapted CentreLock spider, which features an aluminium carrier and a stainless steel braking surface. The 160 and 180mm rotors both use a five-arm design; the 203 is six arm. This explains why the difference in weight between the older rotor and the new one is only 3g, or so Shimano claims. We've weighed both and there's only a 1g difference, but it's not a big deal because that's not why you are buying them.

The two-part design is stiffer and helps dissipate heat much more efficiently and, if they're anything like the XTR CentreLock rotors, they're less likely to go out of true and run straighter for longer.
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • *AJ*
    RT76 - 6 bolt
    RT79 - Centrelock