Flu/cold-when to resume training

davoj
davoj Posts: 190
edited January 2011 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I have had the flu recently and am still not 100% so when is right to resume training? Should you start off with light training? I still have a cough so should you wait till that clear?

Any feedback would be great.

Dav

Comments

• recent CW addressed this, basicly, if you have a fever do not train, otherwise fill ya boot's so to speak.
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    if your resting heart rate is still elevated then I would take it easy if back on the bike. If you train too heavily then your return to full fitness could be slowed but generally I would say listen to what your body is telling you for a couple of weeks.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Listen to your body. I also had flu over xmas and still have a lingering cold/cough now as well, but this week I am finally feeling up to proper training. I thought I was good to go at the end of last week, but after a 1 hour turbo session where my HR for a given power output was up 10-15bpm and RPE was way above what it should have been for the session I decided to give myself a few extra days.

As for the CW advice to train unless you have a fever - that's shite advice.
    More problems but still living....
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I had flu with a temp of 105 over the New Year, it went to my chest as well, I decided to wait until I had finished the antibiotics and pain killers which was just under two weeks.

I got back on the turbo yesterday and the heart beat was up 10-15 beats and my endurance and speed was crap.

I'll build it up over the next couple of weeks, but don't expect to be back to my normal fitness for another month.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    If you still have any syptoms below the neck (i.e. chest etc), then don't train.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    I had this posted by a forum member last year when I aksed a similar question: http://www.cyclecoach.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=65&Itemid=107
    Either way I usually build up over a couple of weeks to full intensity once I am 100% better from a flu/fever, much like it says in the link.
    Also as it says if in doubt leave it out, what's another week if you are not sure. Best to be well before you train IMO even with a cold.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    As someone said if above the neck then ok but not for below.
    Being impatient to get back on the bike I took those tablets that have sudo ethadrin (spell) in them and went like a train. But ended up laid on the verge totally knackered after 30mins. It was a very weak slow ride home after that.
    Unfortunately some of these colds come along with a protracted cough period. Never had to ride with one but would ride at gentle pace until it had gone.

Went to my Doctor complaining of a cough and he said everybody does it. So, went to another doctor who treated me for induced Asthma. Not happy about that but the treatment did help.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • davoj
    davoj Posts: 190
    Thanks guys for advise, might hold out for a few more days and keep an eye on the HR.