Silly Commuter Coffee

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited September 2019 in Commuting chat
As a confirmed addict i've recently found Monmouth which is kinda like the ultimate crack house, I love their coffee v much and have taken all the preparation advise to heart.

The next level for me has been buying beans and a grinder, oh wow how good coffee can be, the downside of course is I am physically unable to drink even reasonable coffee now.

mmmm coffee good
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• straas
    straas Posts: 338
    More importantly what are you using to brew your coffee?
    FCN: 6
  • itboffin
    I have an array of filter machines and presses, I even have individual mug filters like monmouth.

This is my favorite

10573-16.jpg
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • straas
    straas Posts: 338
    Nice choice, that's my go-to device - I tend to use this on the weekends though for a bit of a change and something much stronger, after an espresso from one of these you'll wonder how starbucks ever kicked off;

moka-espresso.jpg
    FCN: 6
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Funny thing.

I was going to start a coffee thread at the weekend but laziness overcame me and I couldn't be ar5sed.

The notion was prompted when I was clearing out the shed, ready for conversion into a turbo dungeon. I came across a coffee maker (the filter and jug type) which we got as a wedding present, 10 years ago, but never opened. Well, we now have room in the new kitchen to bring it out, so I look forward to your coffee recommendations
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    mattomal wrote:
    Nice choice, that's my go-to device - I tend to use this on the weekends though for a bit of a change and something much stronger, after an espresso from one of these you'll wonder how starbucks ever kicked off;

moka-espresso.jpg

+ 1 with Taylors Rich Italian gets me going in the morning
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Cubanita beans, grinder and a really cool stainless steel one litre cafettiere that I bought from a Sunday times ad about five years ago. Just like a Bodum but mated with a Thermos! Oh yeah, brews the Java and then keeps it hot for about three hours.

If I'm ever going to get 'Desert Islanded' then that sucker is coming with me. Screw the Skakespeare.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    i thought this wa going to be a 'how many cups in a day' thread, spose it still could be. At the moment i'm down the quantity over quality road. Average 6 large mugs of shoddy instant. Although done right it tastes ok, i've got my instant technique down!
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    im allergic to caffeine. The smell alone tightens my chest and i gasp for air and you dont want to know what happens if i get any on my skin or swallow some. The girl from the exorcist has nothing on me.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Eeeeugh - I hate cafetiere coffee. Has to be espresso.

I have a Gaggia Classic and use Illy coffee - I think I've mastered it.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    For the best coffee you have ever had try Union Coffee

They even have a subscription where you get tasting notes and a new flavour every month.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    bobgfish wrote:
    For the best coffee you have ever had try Union Coffee

They even have a subscription where you get tasting notes and a new flavour every month.

+1 for union. Grumpy Mule very good as well.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • fishz
    fishz Posts: 20
    +1 on the Gaggia Classic, but most days I use the stove top "espresso" maker. Best dring of the day :shock:
  • itboffin
    What about those monkey picked tiger poo beans?

good or BS?
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051

Exactly the same for me, I also have a stove top and cafetiere.

Although I have to agree with itb, Monmouth coffee is superb, I'd probably buy that if they sold it in Sainsburys.
  • itboffin
    Canny Jock wrote:

Exactly the same for me, I also have a stove top and cafetiere.

Although I have to agree with itb, Monmouth coffee is superb, I'd probably buy that if they sold it in Sainsburys.

Sourced sell it - oh yeah get in
  • prawny
    Currently sipping on luke warm strong black machine coffee, mmmmm acidy.

I'm going to have to get a stove top pot. I've got an espresso machine but it makes aa right racket and it's a bit early for that when I leave the house.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    CM-8%202006.jpg

And Lavazza Gold, or maybe Illy
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Had a filter machine. That broke, so I now have a cafetiere.

But no coffee.

Am steering clear of coffee in the morning now - OJ instead. :cry:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778

if you freshly grind the beans your gaggia classic will thank you by giving you stunning espresso's

I mix it up between said espressos and cafetiere coffee again made with freshly ground beans (but a different variety for a fuller flavour)
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227

+2

Like a Café Breva in the mornings.
  • Another stove-top lover here. Am always a bit surprised when people choose a cafetiere, uses mountains of coffee for a decent cup, and then half of the cup is sludge. Favourite coffee has to be Lavazza Rosso. Mmmmm....

At work we have a great selection of freshly roasted coffees from the Edinburgh Tea and Coffee company, their espresso blend is really pretty great too.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    Our cats are called Mocha, Illy & Monmouth. The black Labrador, Java...

I normally use a Cona at home (vacuum system, now out of production). Java beans from the Nairobi coffee co. medium roasted (most seem to over roast Java).
    We have an inexpensive espresso machine which I occasionally use for a change.
    We have a Starbucks franchise at work- it's discounted but I still spend too much there. My usual brew went up 25% over Christmas, which hurts.

Cheers,
    W.
  • ste_
    ste_ Posts: 124
    Usually I'm an utter luddite. However, afew years ago I retired my Gaggia and freshly ground beans for a Nespreso machine.

It goes against many of my principles, but having tremendously fresh espresso available in 60 seconds or so with no mess afterwards is worth the moral dilution.

Yep, I'm tied to a massive corporation to purchase my coffee and yes I'm restricted to buying it on-line or from Selfridges but the pros outweigh the cons.
  • ste_ wrote:
    Usually I'm an utter luddite. However, afew years ago I retired my Gaggia and freshly ground beans for a Nespreso machine.

It goes against many of my principles, but having tremendously fresh espresso available in 60 seconds or so with no mess afterwards is worth the moral dilution.

Yep, I'm tied to a massive corporation to purchase my coffee and yes I'm restricted to buying it on-line or from Selfridges but the pros outweigh the cons.

+1
  • Urgh - filter coffee = vile.

I'm in agreement with ste_ on the nespresso, but failing that it has to be a percolator. If no percolator is available, I default to cafetiere. Under duress.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    for the cafetiere haters... why not use a bigger one then no sludge

nespresso doesn't belong here :x
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    The fancy version:

cona-domestic-brew2-large.jpg

My one is a bit more industrial, but the principle's the same. Lots of lovely, strong coffee with no grounds, sludge, taint or overcooked/burnt flavour.

I find espresso a bit unsatisfying as a during-the-day drink- overpowering taste and it's gone before I've really started to enjoy it!

Cheers,
    W.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Hi,
    The fancy version:

cona-domestic-brew2-large.jpg

My one is a bit more industrial, but the principle's the same. Lots of lovely, strong coffee with no grounds, sludge, taint or overcooked/burnt flavour.

I find espresso a bit unsatisfying as a during-the-day drink- overpowering taste and it's gone before I've really started to enjoy it!

Cheers,
    W.

Do you live in the future?

Check out your tiles dude!
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I'm trying to persuade my CFO that I need one of these:

ranciliomachine_layout_wide__89502_tiny.jpg

Mate got one as a wedding present and it's a lovely lovely thing, but it's like bikes then you need the grinder, and the tamper, and the special espresso beans.....

I'm reliant on an electric filter machine, with a stove-top espresso pot for afternoon pick-me-ups. The first thing I do when I get up in the morning is to put the coffee on. I may be an addict but I'm a happy, well-caffeinated addict :-)
    Misguided Idealist
  • prawny
    Chris King make a tamper now, just saying like.

1291757201429-wql84ur2keuc-670-75.jpg

Anyone would think most cyclists are coffee addicts. Gah! I've run out.

I did have a cafetiere on my desk at work but I got sick of cleaning it out 5 times a day.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017