Stolen bike found on ebay

jlewis74
jlewis74 Posts: 7
edited February 2011 in Road stolen
I had a bike stolen in London in September, reported obviously to the Police (islington).

3 days ago I discovered the bike (or the frame) was being sold on Ebay by a frequent bike seller.

The bike has been stripped down and all parts except frame and seatpost replaced with other parts.

I called the Police who said they would reopen the case and I should continue to be the high bidder. They said they would call back next day with instructions. I didn't get any call back.

Just before the auction ended I called again and still no answer, officer couldn't remember who took the call, etc etc. Was given crime number CAD 6748 and told to call back tomorrow.

I am now the 'winner' of the bike, the seller has given me an address in London and wants me to go and pay cash. We are talking best part of a grand. (which it is worth)

I called the Police this morning who now can't even remember my initial call and told me to call back later.

Basically it seems the police just can't really be bothered and don't really care about it so I feel a bit helpless and the only thing left to do is go down to this place myself and take back my property with force. I really don't want and should not have to do this.

Anyone got any advice?

Comments

• stephec
    stephec Posts: 795
    Do you have a few big mates, and is there any chance the guy might know where you live?
  • Finally got a call back from Police.
    They are going to contact me tomorrow am apparently regarding getting the bike back.
    Fingers crossed!! I will post the results as they happen.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    My bike turned up on Ebay 6 weeks after being stolen. Had to make several calls to the police but they got it back for me eventually. I then had to go to the police station and prove it was mine. Frame number and a list of bits I'd fitted made that very easy.
    If they don't call you keep chasing and get names.
    I believe the bicycle task force may be more helpful but I couldn't find a number for them. They will obviously be interested if he's obviously a repeat offender. I later found the bloke selling mine had 3 other bikes for sale on Gumtree using the same mobile phone but a different name for each one.
    Good luck.
  • Well, looks like the Police are paying the seller a visit tomorrow. Just have to wait and see what happens. Will presumably have to go andprove it's mine, but have photographic evidence of stickers still there, chips and marks and also some internal cutting marks from my carbon head tube modifications with a hacksaw.
    Question is, will the police remove all the bits that aren't mine, and return them to him, or what?
    Wish me luck!
  • dizzydane
    dizzydane Posts: 322
    Good luck!

My friend and I both managed to get our stolen bikes back last year with a little help from the police...

:wink:
  • Keep us posted what happens with this - as a victim of bike theft myself it's always nice to see that occasionally things get resolved.
    Specialized FSR XC Expert 2010
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    What has happened? Next installment polease!
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Sorry for delayed reply.
    Joy! Finally called in by police, who have my bike, well, the frame, forks, seatpost and stem of my bike, now adorned with other parts. I went to visit it, identified it as mine (it still had stickers on that I had put on) and will get it hopefully next week. Have been told that I will not get the other parts, they will be removed and kept.
    I will write a full story once it's all finished. Good to know there is hope though!
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    jlewis74 wrote:
    Sorry for delayed reply.
    Joy! Finally called in by police, who have my bike, well, the frame, forks, seatpost and stem of my bike, now adorned with other parts. I went to visit it, identified it as mine (it still had stickers on that I had put on) and will get it hopefully next week. Have been told that I will not get the other parts, they will be removed and kept.
    I will write a full story once it's all finished. Good to know there is hope though!

Good result, sort of. Why not say it is all yours? Presumably the thief has said he swapped the components? So presumably your bikes's components are on another bike? Why are the police taking the word of a thief? You are unlikely to get the other bits back. Sounds like a professional operation. Bet he doesn't get prosecuted though. Still at least you have a name of the scrote you can sue - if he has any assets.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Wamas
    Wamas Posts: 256
    The reason he can't say they are his is because that in itself would be theft.

These parts most probably belong to some other unfortunate person who had their bike stolen.

In the event that the they cannot be returned to the rightful owner, then the OP could have a claim for them. After all, he found them.