An oldie 1982 Raleigh Record Ace

kettrinboy
kettrinboy Posts: 613
edited January 2011 in Your road bikes
[img][/img]1003045800600.jpg
1003046800600.jpg
A couple of pics of my winter bike,previously my late fathers pride and joy which he bought new in early 1982 but didnt use for the last 15 years, its now getting a new lease of life back on the road which i think my dad would like, virtually as new chainset(52-42)front rings and 6 speed (14-28)cassette means there are thousands of miles left in this old bike yet i hope,already done 250 miles in the last two months.

Comments

• sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Very nice original example.

This is mine which has been used on and off regularly for the last 25+ years and had a respray and is due another. Brakes are original 'heart in the mouth' Weinmann 605's .They will be the death of me one day.

5343801813_1441818ce1_b.jpg
  • sturmey wrote:

Brakes are original 'heart in the mouth' Weinmann 605's .They will be the death of me one day.
    Thanks for the comment ,as for the brakes,i know what you mean, i have to double my normal braking distances in the dry and triple em in the wet,ive found putting Shimano Ultegra brake blocks in reduce the screeching i had with the standard blocks and improve power a bit,but only a bit.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Lovely! Too lovely to use as a winter bike I think! Where would you get another chainset like that?!

Besides, should swap it for mine which gets a much easier life but doesn't look such a peach :D

+2 re the 605s. Hoping that new blocks will help as the old ones were probably the originals! The Weinmann centre pulls on the Carlton Corsair I'm doing up for a friend seem much better - in theory anyway.

Here is my 1980 Record Ace. I love the Suntour Cyclone gears.

P1050172sm.jpg
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Yours looks in pretty good nick too,after some research using the frame serial number,ive found that my frame and forks were actually made in January 1981 at the old Worksop frame plant, which would explain the identical original paintjob,but your right, mine is too good for a winter bike, so i use it on the better drier days in winter, on the crap days i use the FCR2 because anything that breaks or corrodes on that can be replaced easily, i,m hoping that by limiting the mileage to about 500 ish a year on the Ace i will be able to keep it in this trim for quite a few years yet.