Muscle Strength

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited January 2011 in Road beginners
Like everyone else I'm waiting for the lighter evenings so I can get out on the bike more. In the meantime can anyone recommend suitable exercises at the gym to rebuilt leg muscle strength? The fixed cycles are an obvious candidate, but what abou8t the machines designed to target specific muscle sets?
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12748590

Have a read through that particularly what Alex has to say.

Get on the static bike and look to increase power not strength.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    spin classes.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    Like everyone else I'm waiting for the lighter evenings so I can get out on the bike more. In the meantime can anyone recommend suitable exercises at the gym to rebuilt leg muscle strength? The fixed cycles are an obvious candidate, but what abou8t the machines designed to target specific muscle sets?

So no-one jumps to conclusions ( :roll: ) about why you want to rebuild leg strength, can you just clarify? If it's to cycle faster for a distance, then working on your aerobic fitness is probably your best bet (a good Spin class is a fun way of doing this). If it's because you've lost leg strength for another reason (break, operation) then there's probably a range of things you can do and a gym instructor will be a good start point.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH