New 2011 Cannondale Synapse ultergra, my first roadie

daz_mtb
daz_mtb Posts: 33
edited January 2011 in Your road bikes
My first road bike! picked up yesterday. Sorry for the bad quality picture, will take more when I adjust saddle and put on pedals etc this weekend.

Just waiting on my Keo 2 pedals to arrive before going out for a spin this weekend!

Got into cycling a 18 months ago via cycle2work (after being on my bike all the time as a kid)

Suffering from SAD, nothing beats the blues like a 20 mile blast so I though I'd treat myself!

Can't believe how light it feels think its about 7.5kg, was tempted to get a spesh roubaix pro (from 4k to 3.2k in sale) but this looked better VFM

Not sure how much faster this will be than my 2009 trek 6700 with slicks, I suspect a fair bit!

web.jpg

Comments

• Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    8)
  • I like it very nice indeed
  • daz_mtb
    Thanks :) can't wait to take her for a spin! I just have recently (2 months) got used to clipless pedals (SPD cleats via Crankbrother mallets/Shimano MT60 shoes) so it will be interesting to see how I go with look cleats on a road bike.

I bought Mavic avenir 2011 shoes - they seem fab
  • Bill-87
    Bill-87 Posts: 155
    Beaauuuuutiiiiful
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    It's going the wrong way!! :D

Nice bike though, looks great in red.

Oh and dont melt it with the rad :wink:
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Quite fancy one of those myself.....
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Enjoy. If you take her out remember to clean all that abrasive road paste from her sleek body. 8)
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • daz_mtb
    Thanks guys.

Turned her around for a better shot :)

fitted Look keo 2 today and cleats to shoes - got position set to default so I need to make sure its all good, plus adjusting saddle then I shall take her out for her maiden vovage!

My sigma rox 9 headunit is being replaced at the moment so I don't have the computer at the moment :( can't get a speed reading tomorrow around Richmond park.

web.jpg
  • Stunning bike m8. You obviously dont stay up my way due to the fact you are gettin out on your bike . snow and ice here :(
    Kuota Kharma 2011

Pinarello FP1
  • unixnerd
    Same here. My "nice" bike (CAAD5) will be luckily if it seems tarmac before May. I could still ski to the next village half way through last May! Not ridden it since October :-( I have withdrawal symptoms.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Very smart. 8)
    I hope you have some nice red/black/white cages to go on that. :wink:
  • unixnerd
    What's the red thing on the seatpost?
  • daz_mtb
    edited January 2011
    ;) weather tomorrow in SW london is set for sunshine (first for a while) and 7c

I am a complete roadie newb (usually MTB) so I must be careful

The red thing on the seatpost is my Knog Skink light :)
  • daz_mtb
    PS guys - any tips for the PSI on the tyres? they are Ultremo ZX 25c

PPS - suggestions on bottle cage(s) and bottle would be most welcome :)

This matches - http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cam ... e-ec008983
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    daz_mtb wrote:
    PS guys - any tips for the PSI on the tyres? they are Ultremo ZX 25c

PPS - suggestions on bottle cage(s) and bottle would be most welcome :)

This matches - http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cam ... e-ec008983

Firstly, beautiful bike mate, I like it very much :)

How do you find the saddle? It's the Aliante isn't it?

The bottle you're looking at will go well - I have the same one (several in fact) in a different colour and they are fantastic!

As for the correct PSI, I'd suggest experimenting to find what suits you best. Don't exceed the guidelines for the tyre or tube though obviously.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    These are pretty cheap and functional. I've a couple of the acid greens on my 'dale. Can see three of those colourways fitting your stead quite nicely.
    Token 941s would be the blingmeisters. I have a pair of the 945s on my old Allez and if they hold a bottle as well as those then they'll be quality; both purposeful and aesthetically pleasing.
  • TMR
    Lagavulin wrote:
    Token 941s would be the blingmeisters. I have a pair of the 945s on my old Allez and if they hold a bottle as well as those then they'll be quality; both purposeful and aesthetically pleasing.

Reading the reviews they don't seem to be 'all that and a bag of chips'. Not much point having a bottle holder that makes it a PITA to get/replace your bottle.
  • daz_mtb
    Hi - just a quick update. Wow this is a FAST bike - well all road bike are I guess compared to my XC mountain bike (trek 6700)

Its a shame but in the first 10 minutes the ultegra chain snapped! a LBS (didn't buy here) put a new link on for me, but the link won't reset horizontal once left (its tight!)

So I will ask the bike store I bough from to send me a new chain. God knows how I replace the chain but I will give it a go!

Once chain link was replaced i went for a 20 mile spin around Richmond park.. wow its so fast I am struggling to get used to the leaning forward position though! it seems difficult to brake using the top of the handlebar - so I need to be more aware as I prefer my hands on the straight part of the bar. The gears seem to hop but that is probably due to the new tight link?

I got some rubber things for the brakes with the bike - what do these do?

Also I am struggling to work out how to tilt the angle of the saddle! I have taken the saddle off but even in the manual I can't work it out. There seems to be an outer and inner clamp on both sides but I can't adjust the inner part.

Got loads of complimnets about the bike - I love it!
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    Lovely bike mate.....enjoy.

Cannondale make sweet bikes!!
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • TMR
    daz_mtb wrote:
    Also I am struggling to work out how to tilt the angle of the saddle! I have taken the saddle off but even in the manual I can't work it out. There seems to be an outer and inner clamp on both sides but I can't adjust the inner part.

Please get a proper bike fit. It'll cost a bit, but if it means you are in the best position on the bike, then it'll be worth every penny. A lot of companies provide this service, some better than others. One company I always read as being highly regarded is Cadence Sport. You can view their web site here: http://www.cadencesport.co.uk/

Seems strange a new chain has snapped straight away - I'd call the store you bought the bike from tomorrow and ask them to send you a replacement Shimano chain ASAP. Make sure it's an Ultegra one as well. Your LBS can fit the chain for you.
  • unixnerd
    I got some rubber things for the brakes with the bike - what do these do?

Photo?

I suspect the initial chain wasn't put on right, that's why it snapped. Bummer. You might be cheeky and ask them to send you a free chain tool to install it if you don't have one, it is a big purchase after all :-)
  • daz_mtb
    Thanks for the tip regarding the fit. I was in sigma sport in Hampton Wick recently and they do a fitting service, cost dependent might give it a go (After approval from misses :)) I presume you have to travel to get a fit performed - ie not a man in a van :) would be nice to get it done locally.

Do you need a chain tool to take off the chain? I think its a master link?

Regarding the rubber things I RTFM'ed :) and they are spacers to reduce lever stroke so I will fit them :)

Regarding saddle angle If you check here:

http://www.cannondale.com/gbr/eng/Canno ... ent_en.pdf

Page 9, how do I adjust the inner clamp angle... they are tight and I can't move them (unless a tool is needed? me ? :)) it mentions torque wrench but I presume thats the allen key for the bolt.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    You will love it once the teething problems are sorted.
    My 2010 still slumbers but will be prodded with a stick some time in Feb.

If the chain does not have a quicklink, then fit one KMC.. makes life easier.
    To split a chain you do need to borrow a chain splitter unless your are very adept with a lump hammer, brick and a sturdy 'pin' to knock the rivet out... not recommended.
    I must admit never had an issue with the saddle.. the seat post clamp can be a pain to stop slipping however.... using hairspray on the post before tightening stops that.
  • max888
    max888 Posts: 206
    If you have any further problems or questions you should visit these guys. The shop is not far from richmond gate.
    http://bicyclerichmond.co.uk/
    I bought my cannondale mtb from them, my dad bought a kona, ive had a pair of wheels excellently built and they're building up my dad's ti frame once it have been built. The will be very happy to help you with your Synapse and no i don't work there.
  • daz_mtb
    Cheers for all the help guys.

So the bike store I bought from have been great, just dropped an email and a NEW chain was on its way with a chain removal tool. Struggled to take off the master link so I busted it off :)

Went for a full BG fit at sigma, was ok but not overally impressed really it all seemed a bit arbitry, fitted a shorter stem (80mm) moved things about abit.

After the session the mechanic worked out how to move the inner clamps for angle adjustment (wasn't lubed and was stuck) he just pulled them out. This of course had the implication of changing the fore/aft of the saddle! measurements on the BG fit (before/after) make no sense as I don't know the reference points kind of wish I had the bikewhisperer fit done :)

still went out today for its first proper session, wow! its amazing so fast 27mph on this when I would be 18-19 on the trek 6700. knocked 15 mins of my richmond park circuit(normally 1.45 hours) so I am very happy, just need to try and get most out of her

Just need to get bike insurance and ignore credit card statements for a few months and I will be happy :)