Small rip in Tyre Wall - Maxxis High Roller

bertypreston
bertypreston Posts: 158
edited January 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Spotted a 2cm rip in the wall of my tyre wall, its a maxxis high roller, non folding type, theres plenty of tread left. As im trying to be cheap this year, can i repair this ? Seen tyre boots before but unsure whether these are more suited to temporary 'get me home fixes'.

Anyone know what i should do ?

Thanks in advance
Rob

Comments

• W00DENT0P
    W00DENT0P Posts: 211
    I done the same with a Panararcer Cinder, i was also to tight to replace it.
    I used a piece of kevlar about 100mm x 80mm, super glued the actal tear together, cleaned the inside of the tyre then stuck the piece of kevlar to the tyre with some black silicone sealant.
    I reckon i got about 8 month out of it, started to buldge a little bit towards the end but was fine.

** i'm not saying this is the right thing or the safest thing to do, but i did it and it worked fine for me, if it happened again then i'd reapir it the same way, but its up to you wether you want to try it **
  • Old toothpaste tube cut out and glued to the inside, job done.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Fishing line, sewing needle. Works for me.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • great thanks, will try these tonight.
  • superglue works fantastically

make sure the tire is clean where the tear is (use degreaser and let it dry), apply the superglue and press the tire sidewall together with your fingers, watching out for superglue of course!!
    Call 01372 476 969 for more information on UK\'s leading freeride park - Esher Shore www.eshershore.com