Annoying tapping noise

The Big Sur
The Big Sur Posts: 6
edited January 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Evening All,

I have this really annoying tapping noise come from (possibly) the new SLX chainset I had fitted. It was fine for the first 2 months than about 3 weeks ago it just started making a tapping noise all the time I'm peddling.

When I freewheel its fine and on the odd occasion when peddling it doesn't make this noise.

I've had the bike indoors to have a look at what it might be i.e. Front Derailleur rubbing on the chain or a loose part (headset/chainset/pedal/anything else I can think of).

Its getting to the point where its like white noise and I'm not enjoying being out on my MTB with the bloody tapping noise.

Please help?

Many thanks

Stuart

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • diy wrote:
    is it full sus or hard tail?

Its a hardtail.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    You might be able to make it disappear by just stripping it down, cleaning it up, and putting it back together with fresh grease. Before you do that though you could check front and reear QRs, stem/bar interfaces, seat post , seat clamps, stiff link in chain etc etc.

It really is astonishing how noise from one area of a bike can make you swear it's something else. I replaced my BB a couple of years ago before realising my QRs were the culprits.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    This might sound silly, but take the rear wheel off and clean out the drop-outs, check to make sure there's no gunk caught in there and re-seat the wheel, making absolutely certain it is in there properly.

I had a really annoying period of a couple of weeks last year when i had this irritating tapping noise all the time when I was pedalling and I just could not find the source. I took out and inspected the BB, tightened the crank bolts, checked the jockey wheels, did everything I could think of but still tap...tap...tap everywhere. And only when I was pedalling too.

It wasn't until I completely removed the wheel and ran my finger in the dropouts that I discovered some firm, gritty gravel (not much) had lodged in there on one side so that the wheel was just that bit off, making the chain slid and tap a bit when I pedalled. I cleaned it out and - presto. No more tap...tap...tap

God was I happy.

That might not cure yours, but it's worth a check.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Check your mech cable isn't catching on the indide of the crank. 8)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • If you can't be arsed to spend time figuring it out, just pop headphones in for the ride. No more noise that you can hear, and music to help you along!