Another Ribble Gran Fondo and an old Dawes; updated pics

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited May 2011 in Your road bikes
I've had the Dawes for 20 years but I thought I should post it as well to avoid another purely Gran Fondo based thread!

The Dawes is a Horizon from 1990. 501 frame, 531 forks. Weinmann centre pull brakes, Stronglight crankset and Sachs Huret gears (rear mech testing out a second hand Shimano at present). Just overhauled after nearly 7000 miles this year. All its needed all year has been a pair of tyres, a couple of sets of brake blocks, a brake cable, straddle wires (still need to crop those), a chain, the two larger chainrings and some new bar tape much needed after 20 years.

P1080265sm.jpg
P1080267sm.jpg
[imghttp://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k259/rolfpf/P1080268sm.jpg][/img]
P1080266sm.jpg

As for the Gran Fondo. Had it since October but only had a chance to take it out three times so far. It is to serve as a commuter and duff weather sportive machine (back up to my Look 585). Just added bottle cages and Crud Road Racers which I think give it a coolness it lacked before :lol:

P1080142edsm.jpg
P1080145sm.jpg
With mudguards
P1080263sm.jpg
P1080264sm.jpg

The GF is from the special edition section so spec limited.

Frame: Ribble Gran Fondo
Bars - ITM Alutech
Stem - ITM Alutech
Brakes: Campagnolo Centaur 2010
Gears: Campagnolo Centaur (2011 front mech, rest 2010)
Cranks: Campagnolo Centaur alloy
Seat:San Marco Ponza

Cassette:Campagnolo 11:25 (swapping to a 12:25 when I get the tool!)
Wheels:Campagnolo Khamsin
Tyres: Pro Race Nitro (were meant to be Rubinos but no stock - anyone know how bad these are?! Will probably replace with Duranos).
Bottle Cages:unbranded carbon from Carbonista

[/img]
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    Its nice see such a well kept old bike : )
    I really should fix up my 80's raleigh which is languishing in the cellar
  • rolf_f
    sfichele wrote:

Oh do! I have a Raleigh Record Ace at my parents. Just need to fit the proper alloy wheels I sourced for it. Lovely machine though, with that BMC, I can understand why you might not have time!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The Ribble looks lovely.

Your photos do it more justice than the photo on Ribble's site.

Seriously thinking of getting one of these as soon as my work introduce the C2W scheme.
  • I'm loving the bikes, esp the Ribble......*

I'm curious to the bike stand, could you shed some info or a web link please ?

*i dont want one i dont want one i dont..... :D
  • IS it just me who's noticed the photoshopped " Grand Fondue"?
  • rolf_f
    MrBibble wrote:
    I'm loving the bikes, esp the Ribble......*

*i dont want one i dont want one i dont..... :D

You do want one - they are nice and bonkers value. I got the stand from Epic Cycles who use them for their stock bikes - they put my white Look on it when they finished the build; it was the only matching stand they had so I had to buy it! Can't remember the brand (I'll try and check tonight) but you can get them from Halfords. Mine was £16.99.

IS it just me who's noticed the photoshopped " Grand Fondue"?

Photoshopped? How dare you! I would never photoshop 'The Big Cheese' - It was a special order!*

*if only......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    sfichele wrote:

Oh do! I have a Raleigh Record Ace at my parents. Just need to fit the proper alloy wheels I sourced for it. Lovely machine though, with that BMC, I can understand why you might not have time!
    nice to hear somebody else has got a Record Ace, mine is proving to be an excellent winter bike so far, its bog standard apart from 700c alloy wheels which actually look very similar to those on your Dawes and Time RXS pedals, must say the Dawes looks like its in good nick for a 20 yr old bike.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Your new "winter" bike is the sameish as my "best" bike

I need an upgrade :(

Plus i've only done 125 or so miles on mine since I built it :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rolf_f
    kettrinboy - please post a pic of your RRA! As you say, nice to know someone else has one. The wheels are currently at Spa cycles for truing and I'll also be picking up the new pair of wheels for the Dawes - Ridgida Snyper rims with Deore LX hubs.

ITB - now don't go blaming me for your next n+1 :lol: Besides, I haven't actually managed to use the GF as a winter bike yet........
    MrBibble wrote:

Halfords and Edinburgh sell them - if the price for the latter is still current in the BR review below, then the Edinburgh one is a bit of a bargain. Can't id the manufacturer though. Other ones at Epic had it stamped on. Mine is anonymous!

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... vns&itbs=1

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_242557
  • rolf_f
    Now in Fred Whitton spec :lol:

It's now running the light Campagnolo Neutrons from my Look with 23 mm Ultremo R1s (may change to 25mm Duranos if it rains this week as if that's likely.....). Cassette is now 13-29 with a cheapo Mavic chain. Leyzne pump frame mounted to leave my jersey pockets free for fuel!

The nice discrete Bryton 30 gps will hopefully help me to pace myself (have the HRM and the cadence sensor is on the non drive side chainstay.

SPDs for easy release/engagement if things start getting tricky on the climbs........

Finally, a couple of Camelbak podia to keep me hydrated - if it is going to be a hot one, I'll bring my Camelbak as well - I tend to go from hardly drinking at all to drinking buckets after a certain temperature.

I think that's everything!

P1080868.jpg
    P1080872.jpg
    P1080870.jpg
    P1080875.jpg