Shimano M775 Titanium?

desmojen
desmojen Posts: 136
edited January 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

I just bought a replacement M775 XT brake caliper on e bay to replace the one fitted to my bike, which has a suspected internal leak. It was £30 second hand, and sold as an M775 Titanium.
I have received it, and it has a sticker on the back of the caliper (inner piston side) which says TI and has titanium around it, along with the BR-M775 model number. Other than that it looks the same as the standard ones I already have fitted. I've looked it up and can find no info on it at all. Does anyone know what's special about it - if anything?

Cheers,
Jen.

Comments

• any pics? I've never heard of a M775 Titanium... whats supposed to be made of titanium?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I reckon you've been had. What did the description say?
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Some of the manufacturers put out custom Shimano callipers made of part Ti for certain bikes last year, it's probably a Shimano OEM unit?
  • benman
    benman Posts: 1
    My mates trek 8500 had them on, as far as I could work out, its just the backing plates of the brake pads that were titanium.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Which were XTR pads, so there's sod all difference!
  • desmojen
    I could only have been 'had' if I were buying this specifically because of the alleged Ti content. I paid a fair (less than half of the new RRP) price for a second hand caliper, the Ti part is neither here nor there. I am merely curious :)

IMAG0014.jpg

I just removed the pads and they say titanium on the back, so I think benman is spot on. Thanks for the help :)

Jen.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Have they been sprayed with green paint?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I think that's just the light.

Personally I'd have gone for this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=43291

As it turns out they put a sticker on and given it XTR pads - what a con.

Hope that one lasts longer though Jen. Wasn't slating you just looking for a come back angle if the description was not spot on.
  • desmojen
    Yeah, apologies for the awful fot, caliper is black and other than the sticker looks identical to my others.
    I hope this one works out too, I have been slightly disappointed in these so far and keep finding myself wishing I had bought Hopes :(
    I probably should have just bought new ones in the first place!

Jen.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    did you take the photo with the caliper fitted to your dog?

or just got hairy palms?