Additional bike Security

2»

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    cover them under home insurance.
  • chriscove
    chriscove Posts: 13
    But I'm only renting a room...don't really want to be paying out for an entire house!
  • chriscove
    chriscove Posts: 13
    But I'm only renting a room...don't really want to be paying out for an entire house!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    either get cover together or pay the extra. Pay attention to the small print. And keep it indoors.
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    patchesuk wrote:
    Hi all,

I posted on here a while back about what security measures people take and insurance. Still lookin ginto insurance but will probably get an all round sports insurance that covers equipment.

Additional to that I am extremely paranoid about leaving my pride and joys in the garage. I live in a flat and the garage is a little way off.

Just thought I'd share what I've done as some people may have similar concerns.

Basically I have a iron Horse Sunday Team, Commencal Meta 55.2, and a Cowna DS in the garage. All a amazing bikes and I really don't want to lose them. Last time I posted something hit home that somebody wrote "if they want them, they will get them.. its about slowing htem down".

That hit home. If they are getting my bikes they are going to work damn hard to get them!

So Basically, I have built a 15mm MDF bike shed within the garage, all three bikes are then locked together. Front wheels off and chained together and to the bikes. The MDF shelter also had an additional lock on its door. The piece de resistance was a steal of a purchase from ones favourite shop "Poundland".... a personal alarm. which I have mounted at the back of the enclosure with a little hooped string. If some would be theives do get into the hut and start to pull on the bikes, this additional alarm should be a further deterent!

Hopefully I will never be in a position to have this all tested. But if they want them, they will need to be kitted out, time efficient and at least have a van and 3 of them to move the bikes!

Like I said at the start, just thought I'd share in case anyone is in a similar position of bike safety paranoia!

do you have pics of this ? sounds great!

I have a transit disk brake under my shed floor with a cut out in the shed floor for a heavy chain to pass through and go through the transit disc centre. The whole lot has a bucket of concrete poured over it to make a hardcore anchor!!
  • dublad
    dublad Posts: 1
    hi guys,

long time reader, first time poster :wink:

I've gotten a lot of tips from this forum on security, and I did quite a bit of research on the issue. After reading many, many forums etc my medium-term goal is to get a small, steel storage unit to house my bikes (pricey for the good ones like the asgard bike storage shed)! and to use a VERY secure chain and anchor inside that unit. Probably alarm the unit too.

My short term goal is the top of the range secure chain - this will at least allow me to move my "good" bike (Specialized Stumpy Expert EVO) from the bedroom and get the missus off my back ;-)

The one common theme is that all the forums seem to recommend the Almax Immobiliser chain with the Squire lock (http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/ ... re+Details). I have just purchased this. It aint cheap, but it sure does give me re-assurance. This bad boy is the top dog. Cannot be bolt cropped! Take the hit lads, go get yourself one. And no, I don't work for them, but I found them very helpful. Delivery from UK to Ireland was £21.

Safe riding!
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    @tomarcher75 - why don't you add anything useful?
    Either contribute to the forums or f-off!
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Or to politely put it, 'go forth and multiply'
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • New_Old_Stock
    New_Old_Stock Posts: 26
    edited December 2019
    robertpb said:

Or to politely put it, 'go forth and multiply'

multiply?

I don't get this bike nicking stuff. I have had just one bike nicked in my life. It was old but I'd had it repainted shiny red and left it outside a hardware store with a cheap cable lock.

Where do you have to live to need the Fort Knox treatment, what sort of bike are they after?

I used to live in the car-crime capital of Europe and never got my bike nicked. I didn't have a car. The house we rented had been burgled three times before we moved there but never afterwards. People were too busy shooting each other in turf wars, I guess. The local nick had no windows because they kept getting them smashed.

Must admit my bikes don't rate a 2nd glance, bike bling they ain't.