jogging

gazeds
gazeds Posts: 182
would a couple of jogging sessions a week have a beneficial effect on your cycling or negative effect

Comments

• peanut1978
    peanut1978 Posts: 1,031
    it would have a beneficial effect as it would be an impact exercise (increasing bone density, compared to cyclings non/low impact)

it would also give you an extra couple of cardio sessions per week.
  • It will have a beneficial effect on your running and give your CV system a workout but there is no replacement to riding your bike.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    It would be good for your health, and it'll help to prevent injury and keep significant muscle imbalance at bay. I'd certainly recommend it. It'll also let you get a good cv workout in a shorter space of time even if it isn't necessarily the best use of your time. Make sure you've got a decent pair of shoes and run rather than jog!
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    A couple of years ago I did a mixture of cycling and running over a period of a few months early in the year to get fit for the spring.

Personally I found the running helped my cardio fitness improve quicker than when I had just cycled.

I've always assumed that this is because running is a more constant effort - i.e. even running downhill you're still working quite hard whereas on a bike you're not.

Whatever the reason, it definitely benefitted me.

Decent running shoes essential though.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    peanut1978 wrote:
    it would have a beneficial effect as it would be an impact exercise (increasing bone density, compared to cyclings non/low impact)

it would also give you an extra couple of cardio sessions per week.

For this reason, and its a good laugh, I play 5 a side football in the winter (and summer also). Plenty of running involved. I also think it helps to stretch and work the muscles that cycling doesnt use, or shortens (hamstrings).
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Bone density will only be a problem if you are completely sedentary apart from cycling.
    More problems but still living....
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I think (been told...) it involves more muscle groups so gets your heart working harder. Certainly I only see my max HR running. All the pro physios seem to approve of cross-training
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • darren H
    darren H Posts: 122
    I've run for years. And I mean run. Ive averaged 50 miles a week for the last ten years, mainly fell running.
    So that's nearly 25,000 miles.

I've always ridden my road bike lots as well. Running does help with cycling but not as much as I think cycling helps my running.

I dont think plodding out loads of miles on your feet makes a dramatic effect to your riding.
    Like I say I have done over 40 fell races a year for the last few years but my bike fitness didn't really improve. I've now switched to less running and upped my riding.
    My weight has dropped and I'm much fitter.

No substitute for miles on the bike.
  • This new fad called, uh, jogging. I believe it's jogging or yogging. It might be a soft "J."
    I'm not sure, but apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.
    Probably good for you too, but my knees know about it afterwards!
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    It will have a beneficial effect on your running and give your CV system a workout but there is no replacement to riding your bike.

This ^
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    If you asked me to run for 5 miles I could not do it, I would probably die of boredom. Stick a ball in front of me and I will chase it all day. WOOF WOOF. :)
  • Murr X
    Murr X Posts: 258
    amaferanga wrote:
    Bone density will only be a problem if you are completely sedentary apart from cycling.
    What exactly makes you say this?

Cheers

Murr X