AAARRGHHH.SRAM.

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited January 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm about ready to rip out my sram xo rear mech and shifters to replace with xt.

why the fudging fudge won't this fudging mech fudging index fudging properly.

I've spent about an hour now, setting and resetting the mech after fitting a blackspire stinger.

The gears work fine I can't see the chain twisting anywhere, it hits every gear spot on but its skipping....like a little tick tick tick every so often.... and I have no idea why.

I'm putting it away for tonight before I punch a hole in the wall... any advice on what I might be doing wrong?

Comments

• RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Stiff link in the chain?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is easier to set up than shimano.

mech hanger?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    IME that means it's not quite indexed right, see if it's trying to jump up or down gears and adjust accordingly.

BTW, it's better than Shimano :D:lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Just had the chain off... no stiff links. :(

hanger is perfectly straight.

Started again from the begining and it seems to be ok now.... didn't touch the indexing, just took everything off and put it back on again.

Never had any problems with any of my shimano gears... had nothing but problems with this XO rear mech... its utter shite.
  • Stuy-b
    Stuy-b Posts: 248
    new cables?
    or lube your old ones?
    Or... new lubed cables haha
    as said before check your chain for stiff links and check the jockey wheels for cracks, splits, missing teeth and check jockey wheels spin freely.
    check mech hanger isnt bent as even a few mm can make a huge diffrence to shifting.
    check cables for kinks.

*edit* forgot to add - check cassette for missing/bent/worn teeth

Stuy
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or get Shimano.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I found SRAM way easier to set up than shimano
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    ilovedirt wrote:
    I found SRAM way easier to set up than shimano

Same here, I have had my SRAM mech and shifters on 3 different builds now and its gone off and back on with no probs, just gave it new cables every time.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    I've had trouble with my X9 rear derailleur with it not indexing properly and jumping under load. I spend hours playing with it trying to get it spot on. Turned out that is was a combination of:
    1. The derailleur mounting bolt wasn't going into the hanger far enough and leaving the derailleur proud by about 1-2mm. So it was slightly out of alignment and effectively was like using a bent hanger.
    2. A slight kink, well bend really, in the cable inside the lower outer. A new cable allowed the derailleur to shift down easier. I've also got new outers on their way to me to improve things further.

Your problems do sound like your cable tension isn't quite right.

I'm sure you know how to setup your SRAM gears, but this is an excellent video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt0ZZm3jTlM

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I also find Sram a lot easier, when I'm in the bike shop, most bikes have shimano and my mates and my dad and brothers bike all have shimano and it's such a pain in the ass to set up correctly whereas my bikes with Sram and any other bikes with sram are a doddle to setup
  • I'll change the cables next week when I get chance..

How can I run full outers if the frame cable guides are for part outers?

I setup shimano stuff much quicker. I admit that after setup, shimano does require a bit of tweaking now and then but I don't mind.

Added to the fact I hate the lever shape and length and that i can't push/pull the trigger... I just really really regret going from SRAM gears.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    peter413 wrote:
    I also find Sram a lot easier, when I'm in the bike shop, most bikes have shimano and my mates and my dad and brothers bike all have shimano and it's such a pain in the ass to set up correctly whereas my bikes with Sram and any other bikes with sram are a doddle to setup
    No problem setting either up here. One bike is Shimano, the other SRAM.
    But I've had far more consistent shifting and smoother action with the Shimano.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The Northern Monkey
    Use cable ties, or there's som ethings on CRC that screw into the cable stops and hold the full length outer.

As much as I love my SRAM stuff, why don't you swap for Shimano (although I can't help thinking you've got unlucky with a slightly dodgy mech because I seem to remember some problems you had before) and if you can set up Shimano then there's no reason why SRAM would be difficult.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • what gear is it skipping in or all of them?

if its the 9th (smallest cog) then might be the spring tension isnt right.

my x.9 would never ever set up properly in 9th, i sent it back to CRC and they sent me a new one.

dont know if that helps but good luck setting it up.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just swapped Shimano to SRAM on my commuter (LX to X9 rear and Deore to X0 shifters) I didn't even need to tweak the cable tension it worked PERFECTLY with just the base setting up.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • If you get tired of the mech, you can send it to me and i'll perform a long term test on it.
  • How can I run full outers if the frame cable guides are for part outers?

You could use Jagwire Ripcord. They come with a sleeve to cover exposed cable between the cable guides. There are other makes out there doing the same.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you have 'traditional' stops they can be drilled out to allow an outer to be threaded through.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Started again from the begining and it seems to be ok now.... didn't touch the indexing, just took everything off and put it back on again.

So, obviously not fitted right :wink:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:

So, obviously not fitted right :wink:

yes but I never took it off :wink:
  • what gear is it skipping in or all of them?

if its the 9th (smallest cog) then might be the spring tension isnt right.

my x.9 would never ever set up properly in 9th, i sent it back to CRC and they sent me a new one.

dont know if that helps but good luck setting it up.

It skips (and still frigging does after I stayed up till 01:30am!) in 8th to 4th no matter what I do.
    I say skip, I mean it just sounds like it isn't settled.

Happens more when in the middle ring on the front (only run dual).
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    reckon it could be a sticky cable. just changed over from x0 to xtr and used a set of transfil blacksnakes, best £11 ive ever spent on cables. over the years i have spent a small fortune on cables and used all the top sets but i have to say that the blacksnakes feel the best. they have fully shielded inners so i added a middleburn oiler to each cable for if they ever need and lube. sram is a piece of pi55 to index so if theres is a bit a hesitation check ya cables
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    How new is it? Is it all brand new or is the chain/cassette slightly worn? SRAM is much easier to set up as it is less sensitive to cable adjustments.
  • everything is the same age.

pastey_boy
    this one?
    http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/117652.html

Theres less than 2 meters of outer though, I don't know if it would do my whole bike.hmm.
  • pastey_boy
    yeah thats it but if your running full length outer then you need some extra outer just give me a mo i,ll see if i can find some
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • nah I'm not running full length at the mo...

Just I have to run an outer through my swingarm which makes me need a fair bit of outer!

Actually, I think I have some XT outer somewhere. hmm.
  • pastey_boy
    wiggle do 2 metres of the same outer for less than £4
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Yea I can get it down the road at Sunset Bikes. I'll see how it fares this weekend but I think a big gearing overhaul is needed!

Annoying though. I've only had the cables/outers for a few months. I guess the last ride in the snow/ice/wet hasn't helped....
  • pastey_boy
    ive just stuck a full xtr 970 transmission on my enigma and i have to say it pi55es all the the x0 set up i had which i thought was good. wasnt gonna use shimano again after being totally underwhelmed by xt shadow set up but the difference between xt and xtr is massive.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • My saint setup was fit and forget. adjusted it for cable stretch after a few rides and it didn't miss a beat for about 9 months.

I really really really miss the dual direction thumb shift on the shimano stuff though. Its the little things you miss the most (although in this case its generally just shimano I miss lol)