Hydraulic Brakes

Dirk1978
Dirk1978 Posts: 148
edited January 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have just purchased a Boardman Hyrbrid with Hydraulic brakes (this is the first set of these brakes I have had). When I spin the wheels round they slow down quite quickly, is this because of the brakes and if so what can I do to let them spin freely?

Many thanks

Comments

• How quickly is quickly? Normally should take about 10 complete revolutions to come to a stop. Does it sound like the pads are rubbing the rotors? Maybe not set up 100%, could try caliper alignment adjustment to fix it. Just undo the caliper bolts on the forks and frame enough so the caliper moves around a bit, squeeze the lever and it will align itself. While still holding the lever, tighten back up and should be good to go.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    read up aligning disk brakes and all should become clear.

very very very poor disk brakes use disk rub to align, most do not though, so read aligning first.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • i have just bought a brand new trek 4900 with shimano 445 hydrolic brakes and the end of my brake lever has broken off is it possable to buy just the lever or do you have to buy full set
  • h-burke wrote:
    i have just bought a brand new trek 4900 with shimano 445 hydrolic brakes and the end of my brake lever has broken off is it possable to buy just the lever or do you have to buy full set

The 445 is on the Alivio range, which i'd be surprised would be able to get spare levers for. May as well use the chance to upgrade the brakes as well.
  • i think i will upgrade any sugestions[/quote]
  • h-burke wrote:
    i think i will upgrade any sugestions
    [/quote]

What's your budget? And what do you want out of the brakes, like any specific things like weight savings, lever reach adjustment.....
  • it might be worth satring another thread, h-burke :wink: