what the hell's up with my gears?

hatbeard
hatbeard Posts: 1,087
edited January 2011 in The workshop
on the way home tonight my gears were playing absolute silly buggers with me.

it runs smoothly on the middle front ring using the lower gears on the cassette but when I try to move up to a higher rear cog and put a bit of effort into things something kept slipping like the chain was slipping back a link or something

I also seem to have the occasional issue shifting where the shift doesn't feel like it really happened and then somewhere further along the road when I put some effort in my gears change by themselves (like it only got halfway through) or I'll shift again and end up jumping two cogs not one.

is this two separate issues or could they both be caused by the same thing? either whats a good course of action for figuring out what the hell is wrong, what are the best places to look for problems on the bike?
Hat + Beard

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    The rear gear cable tension is off I reckon.
    Give the whole drive train a clean, degrease and lube. Go for a spin to check the gear changes and if its still dodgy follow the Park Tools guide.

I reckon half a turn on the barrel adjuster should do it, but without knowing your bike I would go through most of the Park Tools guide.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    this just sounds like wear 'n' tear and a need for servicing.

how old is your chain and cassette? they could need replacing

also have you changed gears cables lately or cleaned out the plastic underneath the BB housing? the cables might be sticking

is the chain moving freely? clean it up, spray with loads of GT85 and clean that off then re-oil
  • EKE_38BPM
    Its a pretty new bike, right? That would rule out chain and cassette wear.
    Could still be a little cable stretch,

Remember, your bike will never be 100%. Something will ALWAYS need fettling.

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Leaf in the cassette?
  • I'll also go for cable stretch and/or muck in the cabling.

Classic signs for mucky cables is you change gear and nothing happens for a few seconds, then it clicks up/down. This time of year throws huge amounts of grit and muck up.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    get a fixed, simples :)

apart from when the fixed cog decides to disemmble itself when going 20mph and nearly throws you off bike :(
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    The 'delayed reaction' effect screams dirt either i'n a cable or in a mech. Absolutely the first step is a good clean.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    It's a fairly new bike? if so then it's just a bit of cable stretch, you can either turn the barrel adjusters or loosen then retention the cables.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... derailleur

http://bicycletutor.com/adjust-rear-derailleur/
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    It's obvious, you need to buy a new bike. :P
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    Oddjob62 wrote:

And a new outfit, to match
  • marchant wrote:
    Oddjob62 wrote:

And a new outfit, to match

and a new hat, naturally
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Surely two new bikes just in case. :wink:
  • EKE_38BPM
    New bike (fixie), hat (well helmet) and outfit to match? How about this:
    tumblr_ldcl1ke96I1qb8ypro1_500.jpg
    Sorted!

• Sticky cable.
  • hatbeard
    just spent a fortune on cleaners so tomorrow I'll give it all a good old clean and see how it goes.

cheers all.
    Hat + Beard
  • hatbeard
    gave it a good old clean but seems like I have a dodgy/seized link in my chain :(

running the pedals backwards the same link in the chain catches on the small wheel of the rear derailleur every time round which I guess would explain the 'slipping' I'm getting every few pedal turns.

guess next on my shopping list is a chain tool now :( but I guess it's probably a good opportunity to get a powerlink installed to help with cleaning the chain next time.
    Hat + Beard
  • That's annoying. I've got a chain link tool that I could have dropped off this evening on the way to a temporary night-shift job but you're not on the forum at the moment and I don't know your house number. If you still need one tomorrow, leave me contact details via PM and I can get it to you tomorrow.
  • hatbeard
    it's ok I'll pick one up tomorrow on the way into work. I need one in the toolbox anyways so now's as good a time as any to get it. thanks for the kind offer though.
    Hat + Beard
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just flex the chain, not the way it wants to.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • hatbeard
    nicklouse wrote:
    just flex the chain, not the way it wants to.

tried that and nothing doing, the link was extremely stiff and would barely move in any direction.

but anyways I made it 2/3rds of the way into work and got fed up with my pedal jarring out from under my foot when I tried to move at anything resembling speed so popped into on your bike on tooley street and bought a chain tool for some quick roadside fettling. it loosened the link but there's still a slight kink somewhere as it's not fully smooth yet, will fettle a little more at lunch or before I head home probably.
    Hat + Beard
  • Avoneer
    Avoneer Posts: 525
    Just buy a new chain - job done.

Pat...
    "Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    As Nick said hold the chain either side of the stiff link and bend a couple of times both ways, against the chain. Sorted
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.