tyres for turbo

alsmudger
alsmudger Posts: 38
I am using a turbo at the moment. Is it okay to keep using the same tyre on the road?

Comments

• jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    Yeah, the only issue is that the tyre will wear out quicker.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Just have a look at the tread on the tyre after you've used it on the turbo. It's probably wearing out very quickly!
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    Yep my Conti Gator Skin was waring out after about 3 sessions, i quit training untill my Conti Turbo Specific Tyre came through, and it cost me 2 weeks training.

You might want to get a second wheel aswell, because its a pain in the ar$e chaning tyres if you wanna hit the road.. Im just trying to talk myself out of buying (credit card) a Carbone SL Powertap.. Then ill have 2 wheels and a power meter. :)
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    i put a red vitoria trainer tyre on mine. my rear triangle was covered in red dust until i wiped it off yesterday
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Karl2010 wrote:
    Yep my Conti Gator Skin was waring out after about 3 sessions, i quit training untill my Conti Turbo Specific Tyre came through, and it cost me 2 weeks training.

You might want to get a second wheel aswell, because its a pain in the ar$e chaning tyres if you wanna hit the road.. Im just trying to talk myself out of buying (credit card) a Carbone SL Powertap.. Then ill have 2 wheels and a power meter. :)

A wise choice - you can use it on the turbo in the winter (protecting it from salt-based death) and the road in the summer.
  • Hi

New to the forum so apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong place.

I've just set up my new turbo (voltare elite from Decathlon) but can't get the back wheel to meet the roller when its in the 'locked' position. I've got the loading arm set to its highest position and there's no room for movement in the frame but I still have around an inch of space between wheel and roller.

Obviously I could just release the spring to get them to meet but this doesn't strike me as a sensible idea at all.

Any ideas? I was hoping to use this for my first decent session first thing in the morning.
  • P_Tucker
    Er, just release the spring. Thats the whole point of it!
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    Karl2010 wrote:

You might want to get a second wheel aswell, because its a pain in the ar$e chaning tyres if you wanna hit the road.. Im just trying to talk myself out of buying (credit card) a Carbone SL Powertap.. Then ill have 2 wheels and a power meter.

A wise choice - you can use it on the turbo in the winter (protecting it from salt-based death) and the road in the summer.

Yep, and they are aero. :)
  • P_Tucker wrote:
    Er, just release the spring. Thats the whole point of it!

Yep, after re-reading the instructions properly I worked that out! First prize for feckin numpty of the year goes to....
  • P_Tucker
    Karl2010 wrote:
    Yep, and they are aero. :)

True. My turbo speed has gone WAY up vs my 105/MA3 sh!theap
  • Richa1181
    Richa1181 Posts: 177
    I've got Schwalbe Stelvio's on my bike and they've been used between the road and turbo for the last 8 months. I've done about 2000 miles on the road and god knows how many on the turbo and rollers over the last month and they look good for a while yet..