Adjustable seatposts?

clackdish
clackdish Posts: 39
edited January 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I am looking to buy an adjustable seatpost, something like a Reverb/Joplin4. As I have had no experience with this kind of seatpost I would greatly appreciate your opinions/experiences.

Are they reliable? Will they require frequent servicing and are they easy to service? I've also read that they "wobble", Is this the case with all adjustable seatposts?

Regards,

Carl.

Comments

• VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I had the Joplin, fantastic peice of kit, yes you do get a minute lateral movement but once riding you dont notice it at all.
    i never had to get mine serviced, but i always had a lizard skin over the sanction.
    I was looking at getting a KS I850 as its the only one in 27.2 flavour now. but never even seen one let alone used one to see if its any good.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Thanks for the reply.

How long did/have you used it? The Lizardskinz protection sounds like a great idea!

I am looking at the remote version, can I assume that its automatic as opposed to weight activated? I mean, do you have to sit on it to go down and step up to allow it to go back up again?

Also, Is it an instant adjust or is there a long moments wait before it reaches the desired position?

Sorry, for all the questions. Just need to be sure before I part with my hard earned. Cheapest I can find the Joplin 4 is £210 from CRC. I dont mind paying that as its cheaper than the Reverb.

I never thought of the KS one's, I shall have a look at them.

Thanks
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    I was looking at getting a KS I850 as its the only one in 27.2 flavour now

Um, the Gravity Dropper- the lightest and most reliable * of the droppers- is available in 27.2.

* and most spectacularily ugly
    Uncompromising extremist
  • VWsurfbum
    Northwind wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:

Um, the Gravity Dropper- the lightest and most reliable * of the droppers- is available in 27.2.

and for a tart like me i simply cant have a ugly seat post :wink:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Specialized do the command post separately too, £250. 2 positions, apparently no play, very quick return upwards. Quick enough to do some injury if you forgety to stand well clear! Remote lever, only available in 30.9 though.
  • VWsurfbum
    clackdish
    Thanks for the reply.

How long did/have you used it? 2 years

I am looking at the remote version, can I assume that its automatic as opposed to weight activated? I mean, do you have to sit on it to go down and step up to allow it to go back up again? your weight pushes it down and it springs back on its own when remote activated

Also, Is it an instant adjust or is there a long moments wait before it reaches the desired position? pretty much instant

Sorry, for all the questions. Just need to be sure before I part with my hard earned. Cheapest I can find the Joplin 4 is £210 from CRC. I dont mind paying that as its cheaper than the Reverb. not seen a reverb yet but aparently the remote is better?

I never thought of the KS one's, I shall have a look at them. look pretty, not sure on the reliability
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    Northwind wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:

and for a tart like me i simply cant have a ugly seat post :wink:

Stick some pretty flowers or something to it then :lol:

Honestly I don't know why people are making things more complicated (and heavier) with these silly hydraulic systems etc. There's a reason the GD is reliable and that's because it just works and thats it, they haven't done anything unneeded to it, just designed it so it works and left it