Swisstop pads on Shimano calipers?

russello
russello Posts: 102
edited January 2011 in Road beginners
I am looking to replace my Shimano Sora calipers on my winter bike, but would like to use Swisstop pads, as I have these on my summer bike (with SRAM) and they are much better.

Looking for some advice from anyone who has done this, or similar.

My main question is whether I can upgrade to Shimano 105 calipers and use swisstop pads?

Thanks - Russ

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    No problem - get yourself an extra set of cartridge pad holders if swapping between carbon and aluminium wheels
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • RussellO wrote:
    I am looking to replace my Shimano Sora calipers on my winter bike, but would like to use Swisstop pads, as I have these on my summer bike (with SRAM) and they are much better.

Looking for some advice from anyone who has done this, or similar.

My main question is whether I can upgrade to Shimano 105 calipers and use swisstop pads?

Thanks - Russ

I did exactly this on my commuter - swapped the Tektro callipers for 105's then added swissstop pads to the 105's - marked improvement.
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    Out of interest, and sorry to deflect this thread, but what colour Swisstops did you use on the 105s?

I have just started riding my road bike and the 105s leave a lot to be desired when compared to my disc brakes on the mtb. I know there are many reasons such as leverage, but if I can beef up the 105s, the better.

I have R500 wheels on the roadie atm.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Planet X were recently doing the swisstop greens for £10 for two pairs on eBay - not sure whether or not they have any left as quite a few of us on here bought them up at that price.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    +1 for the "Greens", they will never match the magura's on the MTB but so much better than the standard 105 pads.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • russello
    russello Posts: 102
    Thanks all. Looks like a quick change of calipers and pads then.

Cheers - Russ