GP4 Tyres Direction

Dirk1978
Dirk1978 Posts: 148
edited January 2011 in Road beginners
Very asic question. My fiancee bought me a set of GP4 tyres for Christmas. Question I have is, there is no indication on the tyres to state which way round they should be put on. How do I find this out?

Comments

• easy. The smooth brown side goes inside. The black side with the tread goes on the outside. Simples. :lol:
  • paul64
    paul64 Posts: 278
    Dirk, if GP4 means Conti Grand Prix 4 Seasons or 4000 I would take a closer look as I have both and there are arrows showing the direction to fit them for forward motion
  • Dirk1978
    Paul,

Yes they are the Conti GP4 Seasons. Where are the arrows?

Many thanks
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    It doesn't matter which way, regardless of any arrows.
  • GP4 season aren't directional. Fit any way you like (sticky side out)
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    There are direction arrows - they are however very hard to see. If you put a torch light on the tyre wall the direction arrow is just to the left of the "Made in Germany" wording. If you look at the 'sharks fin' design on the shoulder of the tyre the larger, longer fin should be towards the front.

Having said that it wil probablyl make f*** all difference. I had mine on the 'wrong' way round until someone pointed it out, and changing them round has made no perceptible difference.
  • GP4 means a different thing to people of a certain generation.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    From Sheldon Brown:

Tread Directionality
    Some tires have an asymmetrical tread, for instance "V" shaped tread blocks that could be oriented with the point of the "V" facing forward > or backward <. The question then arises, which way should they face?
    Road Applications
    With tires for road use, it really doesn't matter, since tire tread patterns serve no function on hard surfaces.
    Tires with "V" patterns are common for motorcycles, and are generally installed so that the point of the "V" hits the road first. This is to help "squirt" the water out ahead of and to the side of the tire contact patch, as a protection against hydroplaning . Since hydroplaning is impossible on a bicycle, there's no need to observe this custom.
  • My view is that if there are arrows on the tyre they are there for a reason. Don't confuse treads with "directional arrows". Most top tyres are slicks anyhow.

I'd imagine Continental have made the tyre lighter by designing it to be stronger running in one direction only. If you put the tyre on backwards the strength just isn't there (although you may never notice it). If you think about it, a tyre that is dual direction needs to have more overlapping rubber to cope with which ever direction it has to deal with. Making it only one direction saves rubber - an weight.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • andi1363
    andi1363 Posts: 350
    Official words from Conti (via email)...there's no difference in performance, install the tyres which ever way you like.
  • Dirk1978
    Thanks for the responses, looks like I will be ok with the direction, as long as they are fitted properly!!!
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I agree that direction is unlikely to be important and whilst Conti have confirmed this by e-mail it leaves me curious why they bothered printing arrows on the side wall if it makes no difference. :?:

Peter
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    GP4 means a different thing to people of a certain generation.

I used to have some GP4's for cross, and some SSC Blues on me road bike.
  • northpole wrote:
    I agree that direction is unlikely to be important and whilst Conti have confirmed this by e-mail it leaves me curious why they bothered printing arrows on the side wall if it makes no difference. :?:

Peter

They don't on the 4 season tyres, just on the GP4000s and we are talking about the 4 seasons here.
  • northpole wrote:

Peter

In a word: marketing.
    John Stevenson
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    In a word: marketing.

+1. Probably the same for the shark's fins and true too for a lot of "treads" on road tyres. All makes them seem more sophisticated and helps product differentiation.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH