20% off Boardman Bikes

bails87
bails87 Posts: 12,998
edited January 2011 in MTB general
Clickety click

Damn, the Pro FS is tempting at £1079. Plus I can get another 10% off, so ~£970 is a steal.....
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

Comments

• Damned fine spec for the price Mark, going to go for it?
  • bails87
    There's literally no room in the garage, I've already got 3 bikes in there! :lol:
    MTB/CX

• Unbelievable prices now :shock: :shock:
  • bails87
    Yep, stupidly good value now. A bike with Rebas, Ritchey finishing kit, Elixir R brakes and X9 and X7 drivetrain for £680 is incredible.
    MTB/CX

• bigpee
    bigpee Posts: 205
    Took advantage of this a few days ago - could only stretch to a HT Comp (although am beginning to think the extra £120 the Team cost would have been well worth it) but at £560 it is an absolute steal :) .
    Current bikes:
    Norco Sight 3 SE (on order)
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Commencal META 55 custom build (Stolen :( )
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
    GT Avalance 1.0 2006(ish)
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Holy Moly that's a steal for a Pro. I got 15% off mine (shush) but at that price... well.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ah but they are crap, says 'Boardman' on the frame! Of course he knows nothing about bikes, and they are made in China by dwarves etc etc

:wink:
  • Good job I don't wish to spend any more than already have recently, it is very tempting.

Hope some first time buyers with a budget of around £800 or so spot this thread. Six months ago you would have probably ended up with crappy forks, brakes and wheels for your £800.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    supersonic wrote:
    Ah but they are crap, says 'Boardman' on the frame! Of course he knows nothing about bikes, and they are made in China by dwarves etc etc

:wink:

Big mistake pissing off Chinese dwarfs. Better hide.

dwarf-china-wowmovie.gif
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • A friend of mine had one of the £500 ish Boardman hard tails. The frame cracked after a few months. I was talking to someone who works in a bikeshop the other day and he said that this isn't entirely rare.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, frames break from time to time. From just about any brand.
  • They've got a fairly decent warranty period on them.
  • bigpee
    bigpee Posts: 205
    According to the label on the frame mine is made by Thai chaps rather than their Chinese neighbours.
    Current bikes:
    Norco Sight 3 SE (on order)
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Commencal META 55 custom build (Stolen :( )
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
    GT Avalance 1.0 2006(ish)
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    Yes mine's Taiwan too.
    And so are my Bontrager MudX tyres, SRAM X9 components and probably most other 'premium' bits.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    bigpee wrote:
    According to the label on the frame mine is made by Thai chaps rather than their Chinese neighbours.
    d3matt wrote:
    Yes mine's Taiwan too.

No.

But in all seriousness, this is proper value!
    And the thing about the frame cracking I have only had one Pro FS which needed replaced due to a crack. And this is going back 3-4 years ;)
  • rybu
    rybu Posts: 84
    i have just got a team full suspension for £800. you cant argue with the spec for the money. too much brand snobbery with mtbs,.
  • Amazing value and you can get 4% cashback on top if you go via Quidco.
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    I love Quidco. Every time I use my debit card in Halfords or B&Q highstreet stores, I get some cashback via Quidco. How cool is that!
    I got £38.97 cash back on my Quidco account when I brought my Boardman bike & accessories. The total sales value was £1017.52. The cash back takes a few months to complete. Bike purchase was on 30th Sept and this one still hasn't been paid yet, but it should do soon.
    I've had a total of £1,857 cash back since Feb 2007 - 99% of this has been online purchases. Some transactions are rejected which is a pain, but overall I'm extremely happy with the service.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    bails87 wrote:
    Yep, stupidly good value now. A bike with Rebas, Ritchey finishing kit, Elixir R brakes and X9 and X7 drivetrain for £680 is incredible.

i just got 1 :lol::lol::lol::D
  • hammy7272
    hammy7272 Posts: 236
    Where are you Mr credit card?!
  • Thoughts please.

I'm looking at getting a hard tail mountain bike, I could go for the Boardman Pro but I can't do this via my works Cyclescheme as Halfords do not participate. I have however noticed that I can get a 10% voucher from Halfords via work that would mean I could get it for £765 when used in conjunction with the current 15% off.

Would this be a better deal than getting something like a 2011 Cube Ltd Race for £990 via my works Cyclesceme with a saving of around 40% making it Around £600.

Is the Boardman worth the extra £165 over the Cube.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm new to mountain biking as I have only been using road bikes in the past. Moving to the countryside has made me consider this addition.

I will be using it for commuting to work and some trail/bridal way use over the weekends.

Cheers

Tim
  • bails87
    You mention the 10% off, is that because you're an NHS employee (like me)? If so, you won't save VAT, so the saving will be more like 25% (and that's probably optimistic) and you'll still have the final payment to make to make the bike yours.

Get the Boardman :wink:
    MTB/CX

• No not NHS it's a defense company that I'm pretty sure is VAT registered.

The Halfords 10% discount is a voucher that I can buy through the company flex benefits scheme.

I have noticed that a lot of places seem to put a 10% surcharge on top of bikes bought via Cyclescheme to cover admin fees. This is making the Boardman look like a better option.

Thanks for your input.

Tim