Pinch flat problems

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited January 2011 in MTB general
I have got Conti Mountain King 2.0 tyres on my XC hardtail and seem to have problems with pinch flats when riding rocky traills.
I'm guessing seven pinch flats in 10 miles is a little excessive. I could feel the (mainly rear) rim bottoming out a lot.
Could this be caused by the tyre volume being too small for the rocky ground?
I like having a relativley fast rolling tyre on this bike for XC. I use Bontrager XR4's on my other bike but they don't roll as fast, though I have never had a pinch flat in them.

Comments

• Its the tyres mate i had a set on a bike i bough and had the same probs, Mainly as its a very thin tyre to save on weight!! I dont really have a suggestion to which tyres to go for but i use maxxis high rollers and have no probs
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Mountain King 2.0s, never met one but my MK 2.4s and 2.2s were very small for the claimed size, bit of a nonsense so if that carries on down the range that's probably going to be a pretty small, low volume tyre- and they don't get on so well with rocks. So it could be as simple as that.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    The 2.0 MK is one of the worst tyres ever made. Used to run them in my HT and they didnt grip well on anything and even at 40psi they pinch flatted once a day.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    They are very narrow, measures 1.75". Work well enough in mud, horrible on rocks & roots. I also tend to be quite an aggressive rider, I have to hit any technical section as fast as I can and jump off everything even though I know I should save it for when I'm on my Trance X.
    Think I might try some 2.1" Bontrager XR3's, I like the XR4 but that is more of an aggressive winter trail tyre & I want one tyre to work reasonably well all year on my Hardrock.
  • I'd recommend Maxxis Advantage to anybody now after buying a pair. I haven't had a pinch flat yet, running the 2.25's at 20PSI
  • my mate runs conti verticle 2.3`s swears by them. they are a little narrower than standard 2.1 tyres.
    Giant Trance X4 2010
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    I could feel the (mainly rear) rim bottoming out a lot.

Well that's your problem, you need more air and or higher volume tyres.

Get yourself a pressure gauge so you'll know where you're at.

Pinch flats are caused by under-inflation, no other reason.