Cassette upgrade? Or like for like?

Shmikuk
Shmikuk Posts: 117
edited January 2011 in MTB buying advice
Chain, cassette and possibly chainset are going to be due replacement soon, although I may keep them going due to the weather and conditions at the minute, it's an hg50 with an octalink crankset and a Kmc x9 chain all on a 2009 rockhopper comp. Am I best off upgrading while I'm at it or going like for like? I was thinking same chain but hg61 cassette for the sake of 6 quid. Any ideas appreciated.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends on your budget really - I quite like Octalink stuff. How is the bottom bracket? And how worn is everything else?
  • Shmikuk
    Budget is "sensible"... By that I mean I don't need anything superlight, and I don't want to spend anything that would be overspecced for the bike or my abilities, but I'm prepared to upgrade if it will improve performance/ durability etc.
    Cassette, chain and middle chain ring are getting close, some burring on teeth of cassette but bottom bracket and derailleurs/ shifters all seem sound. Maybe the jockey wheels could benefit from replacing, there's some wear on the teeth of one and a fair bit of play in them, with a slight rough feel to them (minimal but not silky smooth)
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    They are probably worn enough that you would need to swap all at once.

I would not change a thing until you start getting problems (eg chainslip).
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Shmikuk
    I understand I'll be best changing parts at the same time, my question is what to replace the parts with.
    I'm trying to have the parts in stock whilst sales are on and I know it's coming rather than be without the bike waiting for parts.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    There's no NEED to upgrade if you're happy with the parts you have, just get new of the same spec.On the other hand if you WANT new shiny upgrades, then go for it
  • cavegiant
    OK, nothing wrong with buying toys in the sales, but I still wouldn't fit them until your drive train fails.

For a new drive-train I have created a list of favourites.

Chainrings, I really like the steel Deore rings, I have used some very fancy rings in the past, £40+ each for some. I can't tell the difference in shifting (all shift good), but the deore last forever! I would wear a fancy ceramic coated ring in 6 months, I have never worn out a steel deore.
    Chains, X9 is great, one of the highest quality chains at a value price. I would spend the extra for gold due to the rust resistance.
    rear cassette, shimano SLX or XT.

bottom bracket is a bit harder' they just do not seem to fail for me, so no real advice.
    Hope is supposed to be one of the best, and they do roll fast, but not had issues with the cheap ones.

If you are buying a full crankset the SLX is very very good value.

Hope some of this helps.

I would stress the fact, buy toys now, but do not fit them until you need them, then fit all at once.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Shmikuk
    Thanks, that's great help, and confirms alot of what I'd concluded after reading various reviews/ forums etc. The kit that came specced with the bike has been pretty durable so I'm happy to run it again (I am quite keen on doing all I can to give it all the best chance of lasting!) a lot of the upgrades you suggest/ I was looking at seem exceptional value for money/ performance ESP the slx chainset. Hadn't considered the gold x9... I only found it in a superlight version.
    I'm trying to make the current parts last the winter so the new parts at least get a nice start in life. Lol
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    edited December 2010
    Deore is half the price of SLX, effectively as stiff, and only weighs a few grams more.

Cassette, not sure, I have an SLX at the moment and it's good.

Chains, as you know, I like KMC.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    sound enough common sense. i've just bought loads of toys for spares for the next year or so ahead, chain rings, chains, cassettes, tyres, cuddly toy, bit n bobs

Eg, I was just in a dilemma whether to replace cassette, chain, chain rings as they're all on the downward curve having been hammered this year. I ended up changing just the chain because I can squeeze 2 months hard riding out of the rest, and I bought 3 chains in a cheap chain deal.
  • cavegiant
    I have never broken a SL, and treat them badly, so assume strong.

However a lot of other people have had issues with them,
    You should be able to find the L version in gold.
  • cavegiant
    Oh and the reason for getting SLX over Deore is stiffness.
  • Shmikuk
    After a bit of shopping around Merlin seem to be hard to beat, so I've ordered an Slx cassette and a few Kmc chains, and I'll fit a chain and leave the rest til it starts misbehaving. I was tempted by the chainset as it's only £108 with the discount but I think the current unit has plenty of life in it and a middle ring is peanuts. Thought I'd get it out the way rather than some alcohol assisted shopping in the early hours of tomorrow.
    ;)
    Thanks for the help. Happy new year!
  • cavegiant
    have fun playing with the new toys