Help needed with broken STI gear cable

merlin321
merlin321 Posts: 48
edited December 2010 in Workshop
Hello,
I have searched various sites for an answer to this but to no avail. Please help!
The inner gear change cable has broken off on the rear cassette STI lever (right side lever as you are on the bike).
I`m not massivly mechanically minded but thought I`d have a go a replacing the cable myself. Removed the broken one ok but cannot for the life of me see how the new one locates into the lever. I had a look at the left side lever, and that seems obvious how the cable-end fits in.
When the cable broke I was on the middle front ring and the smallest cassette ring.

It would appear that I am either more mechanically challenged than I thought, or there is something else that I am not doing?

If anybody can give me any advice, I would be hugely grateful.

Cheers all, have a safe and good New year.
Somethings gotta go wrong, `cause I`m felling way too damn good - Nickelback.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... s-shifters

Scroll about 3/4 of the way down for STIs
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Hugues
    Hugues Posts: 115
    And here: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... =sti+cable

If you're really unlucky :cry:
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Make sure its in the "smallest cassette ring", take the cable outer out of the side of the STI, squat down by the side of your bike, pull the brake and you should be able to see a chink of light - which is where the cable needs to go.
  • P_Tucker wrote:
    Make sure its in the "smallest cassette ring", take the cable outer out of the side of the STI, squat down by the side of your bike, pull the brake and you should be able to see a chink of light - which is where the cable needs to go.

Not much more you can do apart form this although maybe drop the front changer onto the small ring, loosen the cable and see where it exits the lever - I think the rear exits in the same location but check the shimano tech docs website first.