re-lace wheel or buy new?

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited December 2010 in MTB buying advice
Thinking about the maxle upgrade from Real Cycles for the meta...

1st off, does it convert to a 12mm x 135mm or 150mm?!

2nd, should I get my current rim re-spoked + re-laced onto a saint hub, or should I buy a whole new wheel?

I'd then sell either the XT hub or the full wheel.

£50 for the maxle
£30 for the dropouts

£70 + spokes for rebuild of hub (minus selling XT hub)
or
£200ish for new wheel (minus selling old wheel).

I reckon selling a whole wheel will bring back more funds? (XT on XM719)

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    it'll be a 12 -135mm maxle for a meta, id get a new wheel tbh, rim swaps are dead easy, but rebuilding an old rim onto a new hub takes skill, as its essentially building from scratch. you also have consider that you arent gonna get much back from seeling the hub alone hence why i have a few sat in the garage, imo your better off selling the wheel an buying new, superstars new switch hubs are light and multi axle compatible, and i they're doin a set on stans rims for £230ish atm, so if were you id ditch your current wheelset all together and for those :lol:

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=427
  • lawman = git :lol:

I guess flows would be similar to what I have? (xm719)
  • coxy17
    coxy17 Posts: 401
    i was thing about doing it but people say the hope hubs brake when you use a maxle
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    With Pro 2, if you use a full thickness maxle rather than a maxle lite (ie old maxle, Superstar etc) then it reduces that problem, though it doesn't go away completely since the maxle axle for the pro 2 is just made wrong. If you can wait for the new model Pro 2 Evo it'll fix that though.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • coxy17
    coxy17 Posts: 401
    Northwind wrote:
    With Pro 2, if you use a full thickness maxle rather than a maxle lite (ie old maxle, Superstar etc) then it reduces that problem, though it doesn't go away completely since the maxle axle for the pro 2 is just made wrong. If you can wait for the new model Pro 2 Evo it'll fix that though.

im saving for some chris king's or industry nine if my job gets made permenate i hope it does :)