Headset Bearing Lube and Cutting a Crown Race

myopic
myopic Posts: 692
edited December 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Couple of easy ones!

Is LM Grease compatible with the rubber seals in cartridge bearings?

I have an old crown race that was cut to make it easier to get on and off, and I have a new one to fit. Question is, should I cut the new one or not? I wondered if a cut would make it easier for dirt and water to get in , and therfore better not to.
You don't need eyes to see, you need vision

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well the problem with crown races are they are not all the same.

more info needed.

just get some plumbers pipe and smack it on.

new bearings? why add more unneeded grease?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • myopic
    Thanks, Nick. I should have given more info, but was tryng to keep it simple!

the question about the grease related to fitting a new FSA Orbit X headset, and putting some grease between the cartridge bearings and the races. I was going to use LM grease as that was all I had around, but wondered if it would be OK for the seals.

the question about the cut race was because I was wondering about reusing it on the same type of headset I have on another bike for which I do not have a race at present (that is definitely too long a story for now!). I was going to re-use it, but wondered if having a cut in it would let too much rubbish in and hence I would be better getting a new uncut one and smacking it on with a pipe as you suggest! The quick question is using a cut crown race on an FSA OrbitX headset going to allow more crap to get in than an uncut one?

Does this help explain where I am coming from?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there are many versions of LM grease. but why? (you say headset lube in the heading....)

also you know it aint that strong and is more of a Road spec headset. (no long forks). so would certainly not be cutting the crown race.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • myopic
    ah, thanks for that advice about the race!

its Castrol LM grease - was talking about using it for lubing up the whole headset assembly as I believed soemthign should go between the races and the cartridge bearings - do you think this would be OK?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is it lithium based? If it is, avoid it.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    I used a split crown race on a bike I built for Mrs Atlaz. Didn't cut it myself (it came split from the manufacturer) but it definitely made it easier to fit.
  • myopic
    thanks, Sonic. I don't actually know, so I think I will avoid and wait until I get my hands on something I know is definitely OK!