Rear cassette queries!?

Shmikuk
Shmikuk Posts: 117
edited January 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, just giving my rockhopper a basic once over and noticed there seems to be some play in the cassette. There is slight play in the main body (big rings) and slightly more play in the two or three smallest rings. Is this indication of wear or is it adjustable by tightening the unit? I haven't currently got tools to sort this but am reasonably handy with a spanner.
Cheers
Ian

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    play as in what? direction? between what?

make sure the cassette nut is tight and use.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Shmikuk
    Thats my first thoughts too, just been out to buy relevant tools. The play is top to bottom, not in axle bearings but cassette to wheel. Works perfectly, freewheel seems to engage and disengage correctly and wheel bearings are fine.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Sounds more like the freehub is worn, if the rest is all nice and tight.

Take the cassette off and check for play.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Shmikuk
    Well that was simpler than I thought it would be. My first step was to tighten the lock ring in order to see if it eliminated the play, which it did. This highlighted a slight bit of play in the freehub but comparing to a mates new bike, it seems this ha always been there. I pulled off the cassette while I was there to check if any damage had been caused whilst it was loose, and there's a few faint marks to the anodising on the splined outer of the freehub, but again nothing serious.
    Cheers for the tips and help.
    The cassette is going to need replacing in the near future, any ideas on whether worth upgrading while im at it? Currently an HG50
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Depends if you care about a hundred grams or so for a 2x increase in price; the HG0 is 100 or so grams heavier than an XT but costs £30 less.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    There is a difference in quality of steels too, I find the XT to to wear VERY slowly.

The SLX is quite a nice rear cassette too, also has an aluminium spider.

If your cassette is worn you will need to replace the chain at the same time to prevent accelerated wear.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Shmikuk
    Thanks all, as per some research and advice I've ordered chain to fit now and last til the other bits REALLY need replacing, and due to great prices another chain and Slx cassette to fit when they do need it. I'll prob replace. Chainring as requiredat same time and worry about a chainset once the bb needs some tlc. Cheers