Formula Rear Hub Advice?

Flax1980
Flax1980 Posts: 47
edited January 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
started getting a bit of trouble with my rear hub and free wheel. being a big lad i`m hard work for bearings anyway and wear has now become evident and now my free wheel is not free wheeling all the time.

the bike is a 2010 trance x4, still using stock hubs, believed to be formula alloy disc hubs.
can i get replacement bearings, maybe stronger if available? and is it likely a strip down and clean will sort the free wheel out.

or is it best to get a new hub? not really keen on a respoke :? lol!

thanks.
Giant Trance X4 2010

Comments

• GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Sounds like the pawls in the hub could be going? Best way to find out is to try and take it apart.

If the hub is a write off, you might be better getting a whole new wheel rather than switching the hub out (probably need new spokes and it's quite labour intensive).
  • gonna whip it off tomorrow and take a look. nearly went flying the other day cuz the cassette followed the wheel around and slackened the chain! if I can get away with changing bearings then awesome. ain't got complete wheel money so close to chrimbo.

my thinking is worn bearings had to pinch the cones up, and some crap got in to the free wheel can't be sure without stripping.

if this is the case can I just get new bearings?
    Giant Trance X4 2010
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If it's just the bearings, then sure, it's just a cup and cone on most formula hubs. But, if the bearings are that far gone then there's a good chance the races are dead too. Take it out of the bike and feel for roughness or play.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cool thanks not got round to it yet. come down with a bit of a bug yesterday morning. gonna pop in to the local giant dealer tomorrow and get a couple bearings. what grease would you say is best to use? i got a tub of roller bearing grease at work will that do the trick?

gonna strip it at work later :0) thanks again.
    Giant Trance X4 2010
  • stripped last night appears some water and sh*t got in to the bearing cassete side. also the freewheel bearing is gone too. hmm? better check my crank bearings too I guess? stands a chance waters got in from jet washing it.

can you get rear hubs with stronger and sealed bearings??
    Giant Trance X4 2010
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    How did you get on with this, got some play in the back of mine to, same bike, trance x 4 '10
    formula hubs,is it a clean, grease and adjust job ? mines not really been jet washed that often and when it dose i keep it away from bearings.
    Is there any chance it could be a warranty job as the bike is only about 7 months old.
    Can the cup / cones arrangement be swaped for proper bearings ?
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Flax1980 wrote:
    stands a chance waters got in from jet washing it.
    There's your problem

Do not jet wash your bike. If you do have to use a jetwash do it very carefully on low power, or from a good distance away and stay away from any bearings, you will blast the grease out of them & cause premature wear

Yes, you can get sealed cartridge bearings in hubs, they can be better quality and may last longer

Cup & cone hubs cannot be converted to cartridge bearings, new hub/wheel time.

Prob not under warranty as it is wear & tear, get a bike shop to sort it out, or DIY, loads of how to's on the web eg www.parktool.com
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    thanks, hopefully will be able to get some more life out of it while i save for a new wheel with better bearings