Bleeding brakes

gtd.
gtd. Posts: 626
edited December 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I always seem to have problems bleeding my brakes

I had Hayes Nines and always had problems with the lever feeling crap so I fitted Hope Mono M4 Mini and Mono Mini rear

I fitted new pads and goodridge hoses and bled them same way as on the video on the hope site

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lye3FCz_x-c

But they still feel crap and don't work too well

the only brakes I've had working well were the first set of nines I had but since then I've had no luck.

I have bought a spare pair of mono mini brakes but I snapped the allen key part of the adjustable pushrod that connects the lever barrel to the piston :oops:
mini06T.jpg
Part 13 in the diagram
Is there an easy way to remove it?
Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er

Comments

• CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Remove the lever then unscrew the rod.

When bleeding the brakes with the bleed nipple closed tap with hammer handle or screwdriver handle from the caliper up the hose to the lever body to get stubborn air out. Keeping the lever held in while doing this helps.
  • gtd.
    Ive managed to partially remove the lever but its now stuck as the rod spins with the lever :(
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    It's been awhile since I'd done this but I'm sure all that was required was to remove the pivot bolt and the lever pulls off. The ballend of the rod just pops out.
  • The ball end of the pushrod (13) is held in with a washer (12) and a circlip (11). The lever is easier to remove if you disconnect it at the pivot point
  • gtd.
    Think I've figured out why I've never successfully bled brakes...

When I bleed them I get all the air out, push back the pistons then fit the cap.

Just bled the back one again, filled the master cylinder, rolled on the diaphragm. then pushed the pistons back so there's more fluid in the system.

Tried the same with the front 4 pot calliper but a bit came out of the cap vent and I can hear a squeek/air coming from the vent so I might need a new diaphragm.