Panaracer CG Tyres - Do they live up to the signature hype?

XTC2009
XTC2009 Posts: 115
edited December 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hello, hope you all had a great Christmas!

I got some money as a pressie and am thinking of using it to put some new rubber on my bike. I'm currently running 2.35 Panaracer Cinders and they have been excellent, much better than I ever expected them to be, and I've been playing with different Kenda's and Conti's over the last few years! They are wearing out though - they were second hand to start with - going bald on the back and the rubber cracking around the sidewall near the knobs of the tread. I was hoping to just get some more when the time comes because I'm that happy with them, but they are pretty expensive and moneys tight so I've started to weigh up the options.

:?: I popped into my LBS today and they are selling off all of their Panaracer Cedric Garcia signature tyres at half price, so I'm wondering if they are worth giving a go? They have both the 2.1 XC tyres and the 2.35 AM/FR tyres. I haven't been able to find many reviews yet, so I was wondering what your experiences of them are like. :?:

Wobbly Cyclist

Comments

• I've not used these but from reviews they seem okay. Where is your LBS? Do they do stuff online as I'm interested in purchasing some of these?
  • XTC2009
    I don't know if they have an online shop, but it is the Cycle Studio in Stratford-upon-Avon.
    Wobbly Cyclist
  • coxy17
    coxy17 Posts: 401
    http://www.thecyclestudio.co.uk/

ive been into the shop as i live in warwick but when i went in they had 90% road 10% mtb have they got more mtn stuff in now
  • Cheers chaps. They don't seem to have much online but I'll give em a buzz.
  • XTC2009
    coxy17 wrote:
    http://www.thecyclestudio.co.uk/

ive been into the shop as i live in warwick but when i went in they had 90% road 10% mtb have they got more mtn stuff in now

I think the only reason they are selling these tyres off cheap is because they don't do that well in MTB sales. It's definately a Road market in my neck of the woods.
    Wobbly Cyclist
  • coxy17
    coxy17 Posts: 401
    stratford is more up market than other areas around here i play criket in straford so quite often see groups of rodies
  • MBUK this month - had a very good review.
  • XTC2009
    Was the MBUK review on the AM or the XC tyres?
    Wobbly Cyclist
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    had a quick look. the panaracer cg am/4x tyres are slippy on wet roots mud, so great for sliding the rear end out on dry loose. while the cg sc 2.25in tyres are the ones to get you through winter, a "technical winter tyre" they say. id stay with what you like, or maybe the fire xc pro.