Exercize

Elliot Ross
Elliot Ross Posts: 182
edited December 2010 in Road beginners
Hi ya, im 17 years old and about 5 "10 ish

but im starting to get a bit lumpy!!!

Im a muscular person but just with a layer of fat over the top of it lol

Does anyone have any tips on exercising with a bike

A schedule of anything which could help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Elliot

Comments

• Elliot - I'm in the school of thought that says cutting back on your calorie intake is the start point and don't get sucked into eating more because you're riding.

After that, just get on your bike and ride as far and as often as possible. If you can build it into your commute (if you have one) all the better. Duration is probably as important as anything but try to make it fun and built into your routine else you'll struggle to maintain it.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • the problem that i have is that i never have the time to go biking, i do taekwondo 3 times a week and it gets dark so quickly at nights after 6th form. Weekends is the only time that i can ever bike in the winter, but then i have driving lessons on the weekend. Might need to make a schedule so that i can really get into it.

Does anyone have a good schudule that they use, like how far etc.

Another problem is where do i bike too?

Is there anything which shows cycling routes in your area? A website or anything?

Elliot
  • That's why I was suggesting commuting (to work or school) or just get up earlier (you're a teenager so no chance of that...). Or, more simply, lay off the pies.

There's planty of stuff around bike routes. Look up sustrans.org as a start point.

A schedule is going to be hard if you say you have no time (though "no time" is just another way of saying "not a priority" - we all have 24 hours in the day and choose how to use them)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • yeah true ill have to try and make time! Yeah biking to school seems a good idea as its about 15 miles so 30 miles a day would be good!!

I don't think that it is the eating, as i eat well, nothing too fattening and I eat healthy food! Need to start getting bothered to go out and bike!!!
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    Fella your making excuses not to go out on the bike. Decide how much you want to do eg time/miles and work a route out on a route mapping site. Guy near me gouse out on his mtb at 4.30am (i'm leaving for work then) then he goes to work. Buy your self a set of lights and stop making excuses! If that doesnt float your boat get a turbo and do it in front of the tv/laptop till it gets lighter.
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • true will get myself into gear!
  • Dont Worry about routes just ride and see where you end up, by yourself an OS Map of your area and go find places you didnt know existed.

I go boxing 4 times a week in the evenings si run or cycle in the morning before work, so if i can do that and hold down a full time job + wife and two kids then not having time is not an excuse you can really use, but is probably the most commonly used by people who cant be arsed.

Good luck and get out there and do.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • yeah true ill have to try and make time! Yeah biking to school seems a good idea as its about 15 miles so 30 miles a day would be good!!

I don't think that it is the eating, as i eat well, nothing too fattening and I eat healthy food! Need to start getting bothered to go out and bike!!!

I do 30 miles a day as a commute - it's very hilly round here (not called the Highlands for nothing) and it takes me (at 45 years old + 93kg) about 50 mins average each way. That's less time than my 15 year old daughter spends on the school bus so it must be do-able for a teenager...

If you are getting fat you are eating/drinking too much - it is (pretty much) as simple as that. As I said, though, don't fall into the trap of eating more because you are exercising if you want to lose weight. Several studies have shown that people who exercise often put on fat as they over-estimate the calories they burn at the gym.

Good luck - and good for you that you want to do something about it. The last bit is up to you - just doing it! Telling other people that you are going to start an activity is a great motivator so tell your mum, girlfriend, class mates, PE teacher whoever.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I mis-read yous post at first and thought you did 30 miles in 50 minutes lol

Just because he's a teenager doesn't mean he is fit. You do however get there if you get regular exercise.
  • I am a fit person but i just have a bit of fat lol

I can bike for many many miles without a problem so i will start commuting into school thanks for advice