Uneven brake pad wear

d3matt
d3matt Posts: 510
edited December 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
My bike has Avid Elixir R brakes and is only 12 weeks old and I've done 220 miles on it, all of-road in mucky conditions. I check the brake pads for the first time this week and was surprised to see they were worn out.
At the rear, one pad had nothing left (was worn down to the metal) and the other pad still had about 1mm left. Also the same at the front - one pad down to the metal and the other had about 1.5mm left.
Why would one side be wearing out quicker than the other?
Is it normal for pads to wear out as quick as this?

I've ordered some sintered pads from Superstar, after reading so many recommendations on this forum.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.

Comments

• CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Caliper not centred or sticky pistons
  • d3matt
    The fact that both front and back have done the same, I assume then it is callipers not central. I assume then there is adjustments on them?

• CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Done using the caliper mounting bolts
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Loosen the callipers, pull the brakes to centre them and tighten them up again.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • d3matt
    Thank you very much for your help. Just downloaded the Avid manual too.
    Will do this tomorrow when fitting the new pads....if they turn up. Superstar have dispatched them today.

• mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Sticky pistons are a definite possibility on those brakes. When you fit the new pads, clean off the calipers very well and push the pistons out as far as you can get them, with the old pads still in, then squeeze the brake once to see how they move. Then push the pistons out as far as possible again. This usually frees them up a little bit more if they are sticky one side.
  • On a similar note, I've just had the pads out of my Avid Elixirs and they were worn unevenly but rather than being uneven from side to side, one of the front pads is down to the metal at the top of the pad (beside the retaining bolt) and the other inner side of the pad has about 1-1.5mm left on it.
    Would this just be down to caliper adjustment as well?